Neurology Community
45k Members

4 knee surgeries in less than a year

I am lost and discouraged, just hoping to find some help wherever I can. I just had my 4th knee surgery. The orthopedic surgeon is well known and knowledgable. Unfortunately for me, he has no clue why I continue to have pain when bending my knee. It is a sharp shooting pain that will not go away. My first two knee surgeries were done by the best ortho surgeon in Baja California, Mexico. My 3rd and 4th have been this year and all unsuccessful. It was a gradual pain that caused my initial injury. I ran on it for months before it progressed and then I couldn't even walk right. My knee is clean, no meniscus tears, no cartilage dammage. My surgeon said the patella tendon looked okay. If I lift my leg up (at a 90 degree angle) off the ground, i cannot lift my shin up to a 180 degree angle. I have no strength and have lost a lot of muscle. I know I am a special case and there is something wrong with me that is unusual. Please if anyone out there has experienced something similar please share. Thank you for reading this and thank you for your time.
Hi there. The various causes of severe knee pain could be a condition called chondromalacia patellae caused by damage of soft tissue underneath your knee cap. this can cause pain when the pressure is maximal between the patella and femur is the greatest with the load being applied to a bent knee like when climbing up and down stairs, getting up from chair or floor, squat, kneel etc.  Therapeutic options include exercising your quadriceps. Other possible causes can be overuse of knees, poor form during physical activity, not warming up or cooling down or inadequate stretching. Being overweight could also cause many knee problems like arthritis including rheumatoid, osteoarthritis and gout. bursitis due to inflammation from repeated pressure on the knee, dislocation of knee cap, tendinitis etc. are other possible causing for the excruciating knee pain worsening on knee movement. Consult an orthopaedician with these contentions. Hope this helps. Take care.