Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

4 knee surgeries in less than a year

I am lost and discouraged, just hoping to find some help wherever I can. I just had my 4th knee surgery. The orthopedic surgeon is well known and knowledgable. Unfortunately for me, he has no clue why I continue to have pain when bending my knee. It is a sharp shooting pain that will not go away. My first two knee surgeries were done by the best ortho surgeon in Baja California, Mexico. My 3rd and 4th have been this year and all unsuccessful. It was a gradual pain that caused my initial injury. I ran on it for months before it progressed and then I couldn't even walk right. My knee is clean, no meniscus tears, no cartilage dammage. My surgeon said the patella tendon looked okay. If I lift my leg up (at a 90 degree angle) off the ground, i cannot lift my shin up to a 180 degree angle. I have no strength and have lost a lot of muscle. I know I am a special case and there is something wrong with me that is unusual. Please if anyone out there has experienced something similar please share. Thank you for reading this and thank you for your time.
1 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there. The various causes of severe knee pain could be a condition called chondromalacia patellae caused by damage of soft tissue underneath your knee cap. this can cause pain when the pressure is maximal between the patella and femur is the greatest with the load being applied to a bent knee like when climbing up and down stairs, getting up from chair or floor, squat, kneel etc.  Therapeutic options include exercising your quadriceps. Other possible causes can be overuse of knees, poor form during physical activity, not warming up or cooling down or inadequate stretching. Being overweight could also cause many knee problems like arthritis including rheumatoid, osteoarthritis and gout. bursitis due to inflammation from repeated pressure on the knee, dislocation of knee cap, tendinitis etc. are other possible causing for the excruciating knee pain worsening on knee movement. Consult an orthopaedician with these contentions. Hope this helps. Take care.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease