Neurology Community

44YOA female, Good health, C6-7 herniation -surgery or not??

Just saw it the first time today.  I am a 44 year old healthy female, I have been a nurse since 1991 (I tell you this so you have some idea of who I am). I am a busy mother of 2 teenagers - we eat relatively healthy, 5'7" and 140lbs.  Went ziplining with the family on 1/6/14 - symptoms started 1/7/2014.  Took a Medrol Dose Pack starting 1/9/2014.

MRI on 1/16/2014 showed:
1: There is a 4-5mm right paracentral and lateral recess extrusion with slight caudal extension which moderately flattens the right anterior cord moderate to severely narrowing the right lateral recess affecting the traversing right C7 nerve root.  The extrusion narrows the entrance to the right proximal C7 nerve root canal. There is a 1-2mm bulging of the remainder of the annulus.  The left neural foramen in patent.
2: Reversal of normal cervical lordosis (I believe this was due to severe spasming and pain at time of study)

XRAY:
2 viewed cervical spine. AP shows normal cervical vertebrae. Alignment normal. No cervical ribs noted. Lateral view shows normal throughout cervical spine. No anteriolisthesis noted. No diffuse spondylosis noted.

Had an epidural on 1/29/2014

EMG on 2/13/2014
Reveals evidence of moderate right C7 radiculopathy with acute denervation.
All nerve conduction studies were within normal limits.
All F wave latencies WNL
Needle evaluation of Right triceps muscle showed increased insertional activity, 1+ positive sharp waves, early recruitment, and mildly decreased interference pattern.  Right Pronator teres muscle showed increased insertional activity, 3+ positive sharp waves, early recruitment, moderately decreased interference pattern. Right cervical parasp muscle showed increased insertional activity, 1+ positive sharp waves. All remaining muscle showed no evidence f electrical instability. No positive sharp waves or fibrillation potentials. Voluntary motor unit action potentials showed normal amplitude, configuration and recruitment.

I have been seen by both a non-surgical doctor -he is the one that did the epidural.  Also by a surgeon that had concurred with epidural -I will be seeing him again this coming week 1/19/2014. I will give him the EMG results at that time.

I have noted weakness to my tricep and in my hand sensation change to lateral aspect of forearm.  Heaviness generally and an odd deep ache extending into elbow and center of palm - not necessarily numb. I am also participating in PT 2X week (traction, tens unit for muscles and massage to the Pectoralis minor and accompanying muscles.

Wondering what you thoughts are??  I know surgery is an option (MD and I talked about discectomy and fusion) and the non-surgical doctor seems to think we continue to go as we are and if symptoms worsen then consider another epidural or surgery.  My concern is the weakness and the waiting idea - how do I know it won't be permanent. Of course I don't want surgery but I don't want my fear to put me at risk for permanent problems or affect my ability to function later in life. I continue to complete my duties at work and home - driving seems to make symptoms worse as well as computer work.  Last few days I have had headaches as well.  I am a tough one as I do not like to take medications but I do have to say daily the symptoms are probably a 2-3/10 in am then increases into evening 3-4 maybe.

I wold appreciate any advice or suggestions you could give me.  I would love an objective opinion.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Tabitha