Neurology Community

Abnormal EEG? Seizures?

My child's EEG findings:
  " The best background rhythm consist of mixed alpha and theta activity. There were occasional high amplitude sharp waves over the left hemisphere. There were movement artifacts that obscured the EEG recording. Photic stimulation did not elicit further abnormality."

Neurologists impressions: This is an abnormal EEG due to left hemispheric sharp waves.

What exactly does the EEG results mean? Does my child have seizure activity going on? The neurologist recommends my child gets more testing done. His pediatrician prescribed him tegretol (chewable/100mg).

Please HELP!!!

Hi there!

Well, it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation without having a look at the actual EEG and the characteristic of the ‘high amplitude waves’ such as frequency, state in which noted etc. It would be best to discuss the situation and the management plan in detail with his treating neurologist.

Take care!