Neurology Community

Abnormal spinal tap not conclusive for MS?

Hello, for the last 6 months, I have been having symptoms of bubbling headaches, dysphagia with aspiration (From swallow study), numbness of the left side of my face, and double vision with shadowing around objects in each eye. My eye Dr. sent me to a neurologist since eye exam came out fine.  My neurologist had me complete an MRI which showed a  small spot at the base of by brain stem only with contrast. They suspected a stroke and had me repeat the MRI again in 1 month. Again the same spot showed up unchanged but only with the contrast. He said it not a stroke or tumor and dismissed it as a small vessel that fills with the contrast. I then had a lumbar puncture which came back abnormal but not conclusive for MS. Sending me for further blood tests now. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be or at least what to ask my doctor? Any information will be appreciated! Thank you so much and God Bless?
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. If you look at the broader picture then the symptoms could be due to MS, muscular dystrophy, benign intracranial hypertension, Parkinson’s disease, brain or spinal cord injury.
Also, a detailed eye examination should be re-done to look at local causes such as glaucoma. Also specific eye tests should be done to see if the optic nerve is involved—happens in some cases of MS.
Diagnosis of MS is complicated as no single diagnostic test is confirmatory. However, more than 90 percent people are diagnosed based on MRI only, which shows multiple demyelinating plaques. The number of plaques increases with MS flare.  Neurological examinations reveal weakness and other signs. Evoked potential tests are done to diagnose nerve weakness. Lumbar puncture or spinal tap is also confirmatory for MS in 80-85% of the patients showing signs of chronic inflammation and oligoclonal bands. Sometimes, a diagnosis is reached by excluding all other causes. Vitamin D and B12 deficiency also produces symptoms like MS, and hence these are ruled out. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.