Neurology Community
45k Members

Am I having a seizure/mini stroke?

Hi, sorry if this is the wrong place to post this in.

So some strange things have been happening to me lately and I am feeling embarrassed about it. I don't want anyone to think I am a crazy hypochondriac or someone looking for attention.

Last night I started having a really weird episode. I was in the bathroom looking down at my feet while sitting on the toilet and it was somehow visually distorted like it seemed like my legs were mirroring each other like in a kaleidoscope. I felt woozy and got up and walked to my room and laid down.

A little while later the palm of my left hand started to tingle, burn, and feel numb. It was all over my hand but mostly the palm of my hand. Then my hand started jerking/twitching around, and then my arm too. After a couple of seconds I started to get a very strange sensation in my brain, like a burning/tingling/numb feeling like something was expanding and my jaw even opened by itself so my mouth was just hanging open. Then my other hand's fingers and arm were twitching. I tried to get up to tell someone I felt weird but I just ended up crying and I felt like I couldn't get my mouth to talk right. I ended up falling asleep.

Now I woke up this morning and my head is hurting, feeling like I am hungover. This has happened to me several times but this was the worst it's every been. I have also been having a lot of headaches on the right side of my brain, feels like an icepick for a rod being shoved in my brain, sometimes through my brain+my  mouth. I also have suffered from migraines since being a toddler. I am not sure how but my mother did accidentally drop a mag-lite on my head when I was an infant, I don't know if that is what caused it.

I do have some weird things that happen to me besides this, like ringing in the ears, confused/dizzy/low blood pressure, feeling deja vu almost daily, mixing words, and lots of entopic phenomena like floaters/phosphenes and I can see form constant almost always. I also get some synsesthesia like experiences but have never had a formal diagnosis. Also writing this post this morning has been kind of hard, lots of spelling/grammar mistakes that I don't usually make.

Any help or advice would be really appreciated. I don't know if I am over reacting or what. My mom says it is impossible to remember having a seizure but I have read definitions that challenge that. I am feeling embarrassed like these aren't valid symptoms and I am being a baby about it, but my boyfriend's grandma just passed away from colon cancer and was having these weird seizures in her left arm and it turned out to be a mass in her brain, so when I told him this morning what happened he was naturally very concerned.

thank you so much for taking the time to read.
Have you seen a doctor about this?  If not, I recommend that you see a Neurologist.  It does sound like you are having seizures, but you need to be evaluated by a doctor and have testing done to confirm this.  If you have had prior testing done, bring this with you to the Neuro. MD.  If you can't get in for a while to the Neuro. MD, then see your PCP/Primary to start but ask for a referral if one is needed for a Neurologist.  Perhaps he can start the testing.  Keep us informed how you are doing.