Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Ammonia clorox inhalation

My symptoms include migraines, memory loss, word finding difficulties, inability to retain new info, unexplained facial swelling intermittently, occasional sores in mouth.
MRI shows scattered T2 hyperintensities in the subcortical. CADASIL was negative. Lymes negative, B12 fine. I've had autoimmune markers and ANA and ESR done. I have seen a top neurologist at MGH.
We are unable to secure a diagnosis. Meanwhile I am 47y/o and appear to be having dementia like symptoms....I contantly lose important things, I read a chapter and could not summarize it. I saw a movie for the second time a year or so later and could not remember the plot. I cannot process instructions. I was never thought to have ADHD but it feels like I do now.
I am wondering if I exposed myself to inhaling ammonia/clorox while cleaning and these symptoms are the longterm effects, two or three years later.
It has been suggested that I have neuropsych. testing done to pinpoint the memory and cognitive deficits but I am afraid of what I will find out. (MGH DR says it is not dementia)
Is anyone out there doing research on exposure to ammonia/clorox (many people must have made this mistake like I might have) so surely someone knows something.
Or any other ideas that might help?
1 Responses
We had a live-in friend exchange cleaning for room and board.  She introduced us to Clorox Spray cleaner for our bathroom.  We thought it was wonderful and have used it for the last 2-3 years until we realized that it was triggering seizures for our oldest son.  Upon removal of the clorox spray cleaner our son went 10 months seizure free!   Just last month seizures started again - and we have learned the school is disinfecting in heightened frequencies to protect from infection of the Swine Flu.  We suspect a related reaction is occurring and have kept my son home.  So far he has been seizure free again.  So. . .yes we have seen adverse neurological effects due to cleaners (also pesticides) and other food additives (MSG - check out msgmyth.com and artificial sweetners aspartame and splenda).  Most are not this sensitive but we have found elimination of these items to make a huge difference.  If any others have similar experiences, it would be good to hear what you have learned as well.  I hope this helps!
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease