Neurology Community
45k Members

Aneurysm and Workout Supplements

My 19 Y/O brother had a clipping surgery due to a ruptured aneurysm 4 months ago. Before that happened he was starting to work out and he had been taking some work out supplements (proteins) the doctor said this didn't have anything to do with his problem though.

Now that he has fully recovered he started going to the gym again but he's started taking a pre-workout supplement that is called C4 Extreme (See link below to see ingredientes) but I'm really concerned that this can lead to the formation of another aneurysm but he won't listen, he's a very stubborn guy. I'm trying to convince him that he shouldn't take this product just to be safe as it seems to have many warnings (See warnings at the end) and we're not sure what effects can have on him.

The description of the product is as follows:

"Harnessing unmatched NO3 technology and premium ingredients such as Creatine Nitrate, C4 Extreme is our advanced pre-workout supplement, possessing the power to ignite your mind, muscles, and workout regimen, workout after workout after workout.*

What is NO3? NO3 is Nitrate, an advanced compound that promotes unbelievable muscle pumps and amplifies the power of C4 Extreme.* Cellucor is utilizing a unique compound where NO3 is bonded to Creatine to form Creatine Nitrate.*

C4 Extreme is formulated with key ingredients that will provide more energy to help you get that extra rep, and complete that last set. More reps and more sets are tied to improved strength and endurance.*"

Link to see ingredientes: http://www.cellucor.com/products/9-c4-extreme#description

Does anyone know if it would be safe for him to take this? I've been doing some research in the internet but I couldn't find anything addressing my concern. My brother's justification is that the neurosurgeon  said he could continue with a normal life, he didn't indicate anything he shouldn't do. I will really appreciate any help you can provide.  THANKS!

The warnings contained in the product are these:

WARNINGS

Do not take if your are currently taking nitrates for chest pain or if you are taking medication used to treat erectile dysfunction such as PDE-5 inhibitors. This product is only intended to be consumed by healthy adults 18 years of age or older. Before using this product consult with your physician if you are pregnant or nursing, or if you are using any prescription or over-the-counter medication or if you have any pre-existing medical condition including but not limited to: high or low blood pressure, cardiac arrhythmia, stroke, heart, liver, kidney or thyroid disease, psychiatric or epileptic disorders, diabetes, recurrent headaches, enlarged prostate, difficulty urinating, glaucoma, or if you are taking MAOI (Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor), antidepressants, aspirin, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or products containing phenylephrine, ephedrine, pseudoephedrine, or any other medication. Contains caffeine. Do not use in combination synephrine, caffeine, or any stimulants from other sources whatsoever including but not limited to, coffee, tea, soda and other dietary supplements or medications containing phenylephrine or caffeine. Discontinue use and consult your healthcare professional two weeks prior to surgery, or if you experience rapid heartbeat, dizziness, severe headache, shortness of breath or any other adverse reaction to this product. Do not combine with alcohol. Do not exceed recommended servings. Do not use if safety seal is broken or missing. Do not use for more than 8 weeks. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.