Neurology Community

Ankle/foot pain

Left ankle/foot pain and burning sensation. Pain/burning is acute on the inside of the ankle at the ankle bone and toward the heel. Both sides of the ankle becom swollen. Pain and burning also just began along the inner side of my thigh.
Pain is much more evere after extended walking. Pain is frequently unbearable at bed time while laying in bed.  Wearing heels feels better than flat shoes. Massage sometimes help during the massage, but pain returns once stopped.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Dear madam, welcome to the neurology forum of medhelp. Thanks for writing in. causes of burning pain in foot canbe due to mechanical overload or prolonged standing and overweight. Other causes of neuropathy like diabetes, chronic alcoholism, vitamin deficiencies(mostly B) and heavy metal poisonings. Thrombocytopenia and pernicious anemia can cause burning feet. Nerve entrapment syndromes like tarsal tunnel syndrome and reflex sympathetic dystrophy or complex regional pain syndrome( following trauma/surgery) can cause burning sensation in the foot. Arthritis and sciatic mononeuropathy can also be responsible. Treatment would involve wearing good fitting shoes, cotton socks, shock absorbing insoles to make prolonged standing bearable. An orthopaedician’s consultation to correct effects of nerve entrapments and arthritis ,correction of vitamin deficiencies, alcohol abstinence, diabetes evaluation. Pain physician would deal with if complex regional pain syndrome is suspected to be the cause. Pain relief with over the counter analgesics like volterol  would help till definitive treatment is possible. I hope this information helps. Please feel free to ask me for any further clarification.