Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members

Anterior Cervical Disectomy W/Fusion Recovery

I have never posted anything to a forum, but I have to agree with Ronin, there must be success stories out there. My doctor told me that I needed anterior cervical discestomy w/fusion C5-C7. I reseached the internet and decided I should go for the surgery. If I read these forums before surgery, I would have chickened out. I was scared because my brother-in-law had the surgery three years ago which resulted in his being confined to a wheelchair. After three years he is still undergoing surgery. I had a right to be scared but I didn't want to lose the use of my right arm. My surgery was October 17, 2006. On October 19th I went home. I am recovering and except for taking 2 hydrocodone and the scar on my neck, you can not tell that I had surgery. By the 20th of Oct. I was helping my wife with dishes, I drove my pick-up, and feel very well. Today is October 30th and I was raking leaves. I still take it easy, but I was blessed by having an excellent doctor. Since the surgery I don't have the daily headaches, my arm pain comes and goes but is not as bad as before the surgery. Bottom line is that I feel my surgery was very successful and recovery will be quick. I know there are others out there that have had success. Yes it was scary deciding on the surgery, but I'm glad I did.
114 Responses
it is wonderful to hear you are healing so well in such a short time.  However, I do have a question for you.  Did your doctor say it is OK for you to be raking leaves just a few weeks post-op?  Please follow the doctor's orders so that you will continue to heal well and be pain free.
167895 tn?1189759425
Finally somebody has something good to say about ACDF surgery!  I am scheduled to be fused tomorrow at the UCLA Spine Center.

Wish me luck.

Tim
Hi, scheduled for surgery 11/30/06.
Have spoken with several people who say this surgery was a great success.  However, they all had arm, neck, hand pain, etc.
Mine is in my legs.  Anyone else out there with this type of problem??    After reading some of the 2005 postings it seems there can be really nasty side effects, I hope there are more of you that have had positive experiences.  Guess Christmas shopping will not happen this year!
Hi all,for those contemplating Anterior Cervical Disectomy W/Fusion Recovery I,ve had it and 12 months later I'm fine.
I had a C5 & C6 fusion back in january 2006 and while it was a bit umncofortable at first the end result is fantastic.The muscles/ligaments are weak and sore for a while but if you maintain your exercises a couple of times a day you'll be fine.I'm only talking about my own experience and everyone is different.I was 41 and half at the time of surgery.My discs had prolapsed and had calcified and were pressing on my spinal nerve so I really didn't have an option.Only a slight reduction of movement exists.good luck ps get a good surgeon as you dont want to mess around
Hi all,for those contemplating Anterior Cervical Disectomy W/Fusion Recovery I,ve had it and 12 months later I'm fine.
I had a C5 & C6 fusion back in january 2006 and while it was a bit umncofortable at first the end result is fantastic.The muscles/ligaments are weak and sore for a while but if you maintain your exercises a couple of times a day you'll be fine.I'm only talking about my own experience and everyone is different.I was 41 and half at the time of surgery.My discs had prolapsed and had calcified and were pressing on my spinal nerve so I really didn't have an option.Only a slight reduction of movement exists.good luck ps get a good surgeon as you dont want to mess around
Hi Everyone,
I had a ADCF in April 2006 on C6&C7. I suffered for a couple of months with neck pains and slight numbness, then in March the pain worsened and I began loosing feeling in my left arm, shoulder and finger numbness. My elbow even hurt. I had an MRI done and was refered to see a Neurosurgeon and he did the surgery a week later. It said that if I didn't have the surgery I would probably go paralyzed because my nerve root was pretty damaged.  

If you are contemplating having this surgery done, it is well worth. I know there are a lot of scary things about it, and trust me I was scared to death. I had the best surgeon! To this day I have not pain any longer and I had instant relief the day of the surgery. I was hospitalized overnight and was also up walking the halls the night of my surgery.  The recoery time is quick. My scar is getting smaller and is beginning to fade.  I would recommend this to anyone who needs it.

Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease