Neurology Community
45k Members

Anxiety

I'm a active 29 year old male (rarely visits a doctor as not often feeling ill)  who in September 2010 started to develop problems. I was driving to work and felt my little finger on my right hand feel numb. It was like this for a couple of days then when walking around work my right leg went dead. I went home and called into the doctors and they said I should visit a stroke unit to check for a possible T.I.A.  This all came back clear and he suggested it maybe a virus. Since then in addition to the previous problems I developed a numb head .. numb right arm when waking up (not every day).. pain behind the eyes .. chest pains on my right side and sometimes left .. feeling faint. I've had numerous blood tests for things like Lymes Disease, Diabetes etc and nothings shown up. I've also had a MRI of my head which came back negative. I've not felt a great deal better although I have managed to get back to work. I work at a zoo with birds of prey so I'm fairly active. I have been worrying alot as not often ill and being off work your mind does wander. Since then ive still got the numb/tight head feeling which seems to move around i.e sometimes on the right sometimes on the left .. maybe 4/5 times a month i wake up with a numb hand/arm on my right side .. right leg always feel heavier than the left. Random chest pains and sometimes feeling faint. vision is slightly blurred but not quite as bad as it was. My pulse seems very strong and when i sleep its very loud .. alot louder then before i started to become ill. Makes it hard to sleep and its weird hearing your own heart beat so loud. Im a slight person so understand i can see my pulse in my neck/stomach. It does worry me about a heart problem. I've been waking up sometimes feeling very faint and it takes me awhile to calm down. Just today also its been abit painfull when urinating this evening. First time this has happened. Is this just anxiety ? im sure when i had the numbess at the beginning i wasnt worried or could it be another problem and anxiety caused by worrying about it ? The nuerologist said it doesnt point to a particular problem as does my doctor but I will arrange another appointment so hopefully some further light can be shed on it. It's the fear of the unknown that is worrying also. As i said before I do worry alot .. Many thanks in advance for any help recieved .. I try not letting it get me down but it's really annoying.
Hi there. It could be anxiety but this cannot justify all the neurological symptoms that you are having. MS is a chronic demyelinating disorder where the disease phase is characterized by active phase and remissions. It has multiple symptoms and signs and is a diagnosis of exclusion. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. The treatment is essentially limited to symptomatic therapy so the course of action would not change much whether MS has been diagnosed or not. Apart from clinical neurological examination, MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination, two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain locations. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons, transmit nerve signals slower than non-demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. Slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI in addition, a spinal tap. Therefore, it would be prudent to consult your neurologist with these concerns. Hope this helps. Take care.