Neurology Community
45k Members

Arachnoid Cysts

Last year it was discovered that I have arachnoid cysts, one in the left temporal lobe and one in the right. I was also told that nothing could be done about them. Apparently, they have been with me since birth. I would like to know more about what influences they may have on my cognitive abilities. Also, it would be good to hear about others with this, or a similar situation, and swap information. Thanks, Agnes

Thanks for writing in.
Arachnoid cysts are CSF surrounded by arachnoid cells and collagen. They are congenital disorder which usually does not cause any symptom unless and until they are big.
Small cysts will have no effect on brain development; however large ones can cause hydrocephalus, behavior anomalies, seizures, headaches, ADHD, and even paralysis of one half of the body.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachnoid_cyst