Neurology Community

Atrophy with no clinical weakness

Hi.
I am a 38 y/o male.
I have a big dent in my left thumbpad, near my wrist. I enclose a photo.

I have it at least since 21th January 2008 (more than 8 months), but it has been growing since that date.
I don't think i have clinical weakness, but left thumb tires before right when i am doing works.
Also i didn't notice fascics. Sometimes (maybe a day and then nothing in a few days or weeks) i notice something like tingling in my thumbpad, and occasionally some pain in my opponent pollicis brevis.

Also, since end of May i have perceived slurred speech, that's to say, no one notice it except me.
Also i don't know if really is slurred speech. I speak and sometimes a word doesn't came out, or i change a sillable in a word, of some "r" came out bad or "s", but when i repit the word paying atention i can say it in the right way. And this thing doesn't happen daily. There are days that i don't realize any problem in my speak. Is this slurred speech?

Also, in a tameframe of a month between May-2008 and June-2008 i had choking with liquids problems, but after mid of June i didn't choke anymore.

Also, since more than a year, (july-agost 2007) left arm tires very quickly, for example when i wash my hair, but i didn't notice it getting worse. I also have a permanent spam (contraction) in left high trapezius that only went out after massage with physiotherapy, and then, in a week or two, came again. Can be atrophy in my thumb due to that spam?

I went to my local neuro in January 2008, after i noticed the dent, and in June 2008, after my "perceived" slurred speech. He told me that i don't have anything neurologic, after testing my strengh and reflexes. I asked for a EMG and told me that it wasn't necessary. He thinks my perceived slurred speech is due to my fast talking, and didn't think that my choking is important.

Something that worries me is that this neuro noticed that muscles in my left hand - forearm are smaller than in right hand - forearm, but neuro told me that is normal and is nothing to worry about because i am right handed.

Do you think it could be als?

I'm a 30yr old male that has had all sorts of symptoms that I thought was ALS but I've been cleared by 2 neurologist, a back doctor, and 2 EMG's.  Funny thing is, the first neuro didn't think that I warranted an EMG in the first place.  Main problem...I diagnosed myself on the internet.  LOL.

It turns out that if you had one of these neuro diseases they would see red flags.  My advice.  Stay away from internet websites, whip this anxiety that I know you are struggling with, and place your trust and hope in Christ.  Anxiety is devastating(from experience) and can make you see things that aren't even a problem.  Ask any doctor.  They have problems diagnosing themselves with all sorts of stuff when they are learning about diseases.  Stay off the net looking for symptoms.  You'll start thinking you have all sorts of terminal problems if you don't.

Revisit the neuro in a year or two or get a second opinion to put your mind at rest.  I promise you, you don't want to take that EMG unless you absolutely have to have it.

I hope I've helped.

Humble yourselves before God....Casting all your cares on Him because he cares for you.  1 pt 5:7