Neurology Community
45k Members

Aunt in hospital on christmas because of hemmoraghic stroke

MY 52 year old aunt was in the hospital since 12/19/11 because of stroke.  She is sleeping a lot...today was a lot more than the last visit when she was up for 20 minutes at a time.  How long does this last?  She is paralyzed on the left side of her body..not her face, though.  Do people recover from this...i know with pyshical therapy--but how long typically? I feel so helpless and I feel so bad for her.  She got hit with a baseball at work a month ago, could that have triggered it?  I am reading that it may have......please someone share an experiences they had with this type of stroke. God bless.
Dear Jackie, welcome to the medhelp forum. I appreciate your concern for your aunt’s health. The most common causes of hemorrhagic stroke are hypertension, elderly age group, weakness in the artery wall in the brain and blood coagulation issues. After the acute management of the condition, stabilization of airway, breathing and circulation, the long-term therapy includes rehabilitation. Recovery is variable and hence different requirement of therapy for different patients. Care must be taken for repositioning her to avoid bedsores. She would need physical therapy, speech therapy if there is impediment. Her GCS or Glasgow coma scale would guide her further ICU stay and intensive care. Discuss her condition with the intensivist and further care can be decided depending on that. It would not be wise of me to comment further on her prognosis without examining her clinically. Wish her all the best. Take care.