A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
44.9k Members
93831 tn?1205427109

Basal Encephalocele

My 11 month old son was diagnosed with a Basal Encephalocele at 7 months old.  He was born with cleft lip and palate, hypertelorism, and unexplained nystagmus.  We also learned through a myelogram at Children's Memorial that he has a CSF leak.
We have sought opinions of various doctors, but have had a difficult time finding doctors experienced with this condition.  Is there some way to find out which neurosurgeons have experience with this condition in this specific location?
At the present time we are considering a neurosurgeon in Birmingham, 6 hour drive, and a neurosurgeon in Chicago, 20 hour drive, we would fly for treatment, but there are no direct flights.  How important is distance in this type of treatment and follow up?
The two doctors whom we are contemplating to preform the encephalocele repair have different opinions on the repair.  One discussed lifting the sac and placing a bone graft and the other discussed cutting the sac and placing a bone graft.  The encephalocele does contain a small portion of brain tissue in the frontal lobe.  The doctor who wants to cut the encephalocele sac says the brain tissue is nonfuctional.  How can they tell?  What is the appropriate method for this repair?  Cutting vs. lifting?
Thank you for any information you may be able to give in this situation.

Sincerely,

Gina Taranto
1 Responses
Gina, I'm sorry to hear what you must be going through...And of course you want the best for your son, so you are right to ask for the advice of others. How old is your son now? Was he born with the cleft lip and palate? I just ask because a recent study has shown that sometimes children born with condition may have been affected by the fertility drug Clomid. Maybe you'd be interested to read this http://www.newsinferno.com/health-concerns/clomid-birth-defect-link-investigated/
If this does not concern you in the slightest then I'm sorry for wasting your time. I wish you and your son all the best and hope you find the best treatment solution available.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease