Body stops for 5-10 seconds

Hello , I have this problem from a long time back. It is that suddenly My hand's fingers stretch out involuntary , my head tilts down and My legs move very differently . These things happen simultaneously for 5-10 sec. it used to happen with me when I was small . But not frequently . But Now, I'm 16 and it i happening 1-2 times every day. It usually happens due to sudden movement . My skating competition is going to happen soon and I don't want this to happen there . Please Help Me !
Hello, Cheeku!

I am not a doctor and can''t help you with a diagnosis.  However, there are a couple of things that may explain your symptoms.  Cataplexy and narcolepsy are two illnesses that cause the body to stop functioning for a few seconds.  There is a good website that discusses the two diseases - www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/narcolepsy/detail_narcolepsy.htm.

There are also many neurological diseases that could cause your symptoms.  I think the most important thing is to see your doctor, explain your symptoms and get some tests done.  Since you are experiencing these symptoms every day, I would recommend that you see your doctor at the soonest.

Best of luck!

Curt