Neurology Community
45k Members

Brain MRI

I recently experienced double vision when looking left so my doctor ordered brain MRI. I received a copy of the report that states the following:
MRI Findings:
The ventricles, sulci, and cesternal spaces are within normal limits. No midline shift or other evidence of mass effect. There are multifocal small high signal lesions throughout the periventricular white matter tracts on the T2/FLAIR images, most compatible with chronic small vessel ischemia. No focal parenchymal brain abnormality is identified otherwise. There is no of restricted diffusion.
No stellar abnormality is seen. Norman vascular flow voids are seen diffusely. There is sever mucosal thickening throughout the left maxillary sinus, compatible with sinusitis. Also seen is moderate mucosal thickening involving the right maxillary sinus with mild bilateral ethmoid changes pesent. The mastoids are well aerated.. The content are unremarkable.
Interpretation:
1- No mass, acute vascular insult, or intracranial hemorrhage is seen.
2- Moderate multifocal chronic ischemic periventricular white matter changes.
3- Maxillary and ethmoid sinusitis, most severely involving the left maxillary.
I am not familiar with these medical terms ans I appreciate it if you can explain in plain English
Hey, I found info on those lesions, and I'm absolutely not a dr.....well, here, I did find one that lists a more not general, but a wider set of options, .....you will want to follow up with your dr, to make sure ....my research is anywhere near appropriate.... but I just copied most of that line and put it into google

http://www.dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/central/pvm.htm
Thanks for the info and the link. I think my best bet since I am back in town is to see my doctor and get his thoughts on this. I was under the assumption that he would call me if there are any concerns.
Thanks again
Did your neurologist give you an MRI review, or explain what it meant?
I was told after my first MRI, that the results weren't back yet, and I never received the results until I went to sign for them. The FAX showed that they received it 5 hours after I had that very expensive test. I could see an abnormality, but he said in my records that it was a non-symptomatic  lesion. I asked an online Dr., if a 5 mm round lesion, on my hypothalamus gland, and slightly right of the pituitary stalk, could cause a sudden abnormal movement disorder. He asked me to describe what happened. I described the movements, which also included uncontrollable laughing, and it occurred within an hour of taking a new Rx drug.  He told me that in most cases,  side effects would wear off, but my symptoms would persist, and he called my uncontrollable laughter, gelastic seizures. 358 online doctors agreed with him, but he said that I couldn't use him for diagnostic purposes, since he hadn't seen me.
After my 2nd MRI, four years later, I asked the specialist for an MRI review, and she rushed out of the room. I think that my head and neck tics would have caused distortions on my MRI. Their radiologist said that I still had the same size mass, but they thought it reflected a Rathke's cleft cyst, which are naturally occurring little cysts dividing the pituitary gland, but they can enlarge and cause pressure on the nearby optic tract, which is a common cause of double vision, which I doubt is your problem since you have multifocal lesions, but claim you haven't had a hemorrhagic stroke. You should look up ischemic strokes.
  I don't know why doctors don't want to explain MRI results. They must think it's way over our heads, or they didn't learn how to conduct an MRI review. I wonder how many people are given their MRI review?
I was out of town and was under the impression that my doctor will call if he has any concerns. I will definitely make an appointment to see him and get his thoughts.
Many thanks
jerkylady you make sweeping generalizations, I would say most, if not all, people get results, esp if they want them
The chances are the double vision is due to cranial nerve palsy, which generally resolves on it's own. The MRI ruled out significant
structural abnormalities. Etiology of the palsy could be diabetes or aviral infection.