Neurology Forum

Brain issues

Ever since I can remember, I have had music constantly playing in my head.  At times, it is a great gift to have because when I can't listen to a device that plays music, all I have to do is think of a song that I want to hear and I can hear the melody and lyrics (if the song has lyrics) perfectly fine.  However, when I am trying to read a book or listen to a person speak such as during a lecture, I find it difficult to concentrate on the information they are giving me and remember that information due to the music being loud.  

So, I did some research online, and I found that other people who also have music playing in their head suffer from ADD.  I went to a health center offered by the University that I go to, and they did the TOVA test on me.  I passed the test with flying colors and the person was not sure what was wrong with me.  

Another issue is that I believe I suffer from misophonia.  Whenever there is a person making noises constantly such as chewing loudly, clearing their throat, smacking their lips together when eating, and SNIFFING, I get fueled with anger towards that individual for making that noise.  My brain tends to focus on that noise causing me to not be able to concentrate on whatever I am doing.  

Another issue that I have is that I have a difficult time remembering and concentrating on activities.  All the time, my brain feels like it is always planning for the future.  An example would be as I am currently writing this post, my brain want me to think of what am I going to do after I get done writing, what will I do after that, etc.  Also, my brain likes to generate possible future conversations with people.  

With all of this information, I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help turn down the music and help me concentrate and remember more?    
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Attention deficit disorder has many symptoms including, but not limited to, forgetful of daily activities, losing things, not listening, easily distractible, making careless mistakes, fidgets, hyperactive, talking excessively, interrupts others, and avoids activities that require mental function. Many people may not know that they have this condition until it is noticed in school or work. The diagnosis requires a full multimodal assessment that involves visiting with the patient (or parents if it is a child), and questionnaires to those around the patient. The TOVA test has been created to help with diagnosis but it is not a perfect test. Thus, it should be used in combination with other assessments. The diagnosis is ultimately made by meeting DSM-IV criteria and excluding other causes. Because of your hearing of music, you may also discuss with your physician if there is any indication to have an EEG which assesses the electrical nature of your brain to ensure there are no seizure-like activity.

I would suggest you follow up with your primary physician. You may need referral to a psychiatrist for further diagnosis/management.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease