Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

CSF Leak and Blurred Vision

My wife recently had back surgery in Nov of 2010 to remove 2 badly herniated disks and perform a fusion of L4/L5.  Her recovery was going very well until 5 weeks post-op when she developed severe headaches and naseau.  This continued for several weeks until we found out that she had a CSF leak.  She wen't back into surgery mid-Jan 2011 to fix the leak in the dura.  The seal seems to be working as the headaches have been gone for the last 2 weeks.  During the time before her second surgery, she started to develop blurred and double vision.  I have read that this can be a side effect of the CSF and also could be due to medications (even though she didn't have blurred vision from meds after the first surgery, so I doubt its that).  Now that the CSF leak is fixed, it seems her eyesight is still verry blurred.  We saw an eye doctor and her prescription in both eyes has changed dramatically.  If her vision issues are due to the CSF, can we expect them to resolve themselves over time and if so in what timeframe (weeks, months, etc...).  I guess I'm concerned that her CSF has caused permanent eye damage.  Is this a possibility?

Thanks,
Jeff
2 Responses
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi there. CSF leak is associated with blurring of vision and correction of the leak should logically correct it.
If this is not happening, other causes of blurring of vision need speculation. These are migraines, refractive errors, amblyopic, brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, etc. you need to show to the neurologist for a detailed clinical evaluation including MRI brain and CSF assessment. Hope this will surface some other problems. a detailed ophthalmological examination is warranted  to check the deficit. Hope this helps. Take care.
People including opthamologist think I am crazy when I tell them that even after a year the eyes got a little better as far as blurriness is concerned but I have permanent eye damage.  From perfect 20/20 where I could read every line at the back of credit card now not only I am near sighted, farsighted but also have astigmatism where I cannot focus.  These started after spinal leak which  lasted about 6 months.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease