Aa
A
A
Close

CT Brain Scan Results Interpretation

I'm a nervous Nelly when it comes to unknown diagnosis's and my dad recently had a CT brain scan done and I'm trying to interpret the results he received back from the doctor.  They are as follows:

Procedure: CT Brain without contrast

Comparison: None

Technique: CT images were created without intravenous contrast

Findings:

Centricles: The lateral, third and fourth ventricles are normal in size, shape and anatomical position.

Intra Azial Space: No mass, mass effect, hydrocephalus or hemorrhage.

Extra Axial Space: No abnormal extraaxial fluid collections

Cerebrum: 1 cm vaguely defined low density area in the left frontal lobe best demonstrated on series 3 image 20.  No calcification.  Sulci and gyri are normal.  Gray-white differentiation maintained.  The midline structures are not displaced.

Cerebellum: Both cerebellar hemispheres are symmetrical in appearance, no hemorrhage, mass or infarct.

Brain Stem: Brain stem is normal in morphology and density, no hemorrhage, mass or infarct.

Vascular: No hyperdense MCA. No subdural or epidural hematoma.

Basal Cisterns: Preserved

Skull: No abnormal areas of lucency or sclerosis in the calvarium.  No fracture.

Other: Mucosal thickening in the ethmoid sinuses.  No fluid in the mastoids.

Conclusion: 1 cm vague area of low density in the left frontal lobe white matter, recommend further evaluation with a contrast enhanced MRI or the brain.

His complaint and why he went in for the CT scan was acute headaches.  Can anyone (preferably a doctor or someone with medical expertise in this area) let me know what results like this are typically indicitive of?  Of course I always think the worst so my immediate thought is abnormal = brain cancer or brain tumor.  He is being scheduled for the recommended MRI.

Thank you in advance.  

Amy
Cancel
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Top Rated Neurologists
Shop for health care like an expert. Find the best doctors based on reviews from patients like you.
Neurology Community Resources
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Blank
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
Blank
ON
1756321 tn?1499064984
Blank
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393