Neurology Forum

CT/MRI and programmable shunts

My son 6 yo, goes for regular check-ups every 3/6-month after a complete resection of a braintumor(choroid plexus type) and has also a programmable VP-shunt. I
It is not necessary after a CT scan, which just involves xrays - just at a stronger dose than for instance a chest xray
MRI involved being placced in a strong magnetic field which is necessary to obtain the MRI images - this can effect devices such as pacemakers, vagal nerve stimulators and programmable shunts. The shunts are programmed or 'interogated' by using a magnet - hence the program can be altered in an uncontrolled way in a MRI magnet.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease