Neurology Community
45k Members

Can my seizures be related to depression?

My seizures have been controlled the last three years. I have been doing well in college for nursing and working part-time. I had a seizure after work one day and since then nothing has been the same. I have had several anxiety attacks, irritability, and depression. Everyday seems like such a challenge and I was reading there could be a relationship between seizures and depression. I am already on a low dose of Klonopin for the anxiety but I don't know what else to do??
Hi.

There have, indeed, been some literature linking depression and seizure disorders. However, whether your depression and anxiety is related to the seizure episodes is something that still needs to be determined.

There are other possible causes for your seizures. Since you are in college and are a working student, stress and fatigue can play a role in triggering your attacks. Vitamin and mineral imbalances can also possibly lead to the episodes.

What you need to do is to consult your neurologist, as well as your counselor or psychiatrist, to manage these concomitant conditions.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.