Neurology Community

Can strokes not show up on an MRI?

I had a history of migraines with aura, daily headaches, and occasional neurological symptoms (numbness, tingling, etc.) on one side of my body that would last only minutes to hours.
In October 2007 (when I was 19), I suddenly started to have the hiccups and became very cold (environment temperature was warm).  Within a few minutes I experienced vertigo, left sided weakness, ataxia, abdominal pain, lost taste on the left side of my tongue, high heart rate, hoarse voice and extreme fatigue.  I was later evaluated and found to have nystagmus and diabetes insipidus of central origin.  I have had many MRIs and CT scans none of which show a lesion where these symptoms would originate.  I do however have many small "migraine lesions" and a high powered MRI showed that I did have a larger lesion, but not in the place that would cause the symptoms I experienced.   Symptoms persisted for months and have since gotten better slowly over time with the help of physical therapy.  I still have all of the symptoms that I originally experienced, but now they are less severe.  (For example, I still have left sided weakness, but I have gained back enough strength to walk again.)  
I had a patent foramen ovale, which was closed in late October 2007 and have not had any new neurological symptoms since (no headache, migraine aura, TIA, or stroke).  
I have many doctors and they cannot agree whether I had a stroke or not.  Is it possible for a stroke to not show up on an MRI?  If not, what else could have caused this?