Neurology Forum

Cervical Degenertive Spine

I have had two surgery's on my neck for herniated discs, on my last surgery, i still have alot of pain and numbness on my left side, i did go see another doctor and he said surgery is not nessesary right now but i have a disc slightly touching my spine, i got my medical records, and that's when i found out i have a degenertive spine. On Sept. 13th, 2005, I have to go thru a mylogram, i am really wondering what they do and how it works?Does it hurt, do they put you slightly under or what? Now on Oct. 18th, 2005 i have to go have a EMG done and what is that, can you Please explain to me how all this works? Thank You So Much.... I am very scared to have all this done......
VickyAnn
Degenerative spine disease is very common as we get older and is usually due to 'wear and tear'

A CT myelogram is a common test to evaluate for any degree of spinal stenosis, nerve root impingement or disc problems. Contrast dye is injected into the spinal fluid space (a safe/minor procedure under local anesthetic) then you are tilted so that the dye runs up and down your spinal fluid space, followed by a CAT scan of the spine - a spherical scanner that takes a few minutes to whir around your body to produce pictures of the spine after the contrast has been injected. Tell the doctor if you have a contrast dye allergy beforehand.

An EMG is a test where a small needle is inserted into several muscles to listen to the electrical activity - from which evidence of nerve of muscle disease can be deduced, such as a nerve root compression. This can help identify whether nerves are being damaged, and how severely, which ones are affected, and what the prognosis for recovery is. It is also a safe and common test, which may leave a little bruise on the skin afterwards. Tell the doctor if you are on coumadin blood thinners beforehand.

Good luck
I have been suffering with chronic neck problems for 6 years. I have had 2 surgeries done to my neck. I had 2 fusions done on my cervical spine. I am fused from my c-4 to my c-7. I also have a c-3 disc that is protruding or bulging. The doctors will not touch this disc because it is too close to my brain stem. I have endured every test and pain management treatment possible. I am now 100% disabled at 35 years old. I have had the ct mylogram done 2 times. They will give you a sedative before the procedure. The doctor will inject a dye into your spinal area using an Epideral type tube. All the while he is looking at a screen that shows him exactly where he is located in your spinal column. When the doctor gets to the specified area he then injects a dye. You will then be inverted to where your head is towards the floor and your feet are in the air. You will have 2 handles located right above your head to hold onto. Don't worry the nurses will help hold you up. The important part is that while you are inverted you need to keep your head up, almost like you are trying to look up as far as you can. This is so the fluids and dyes do not go into your head. After a few minutes the doctor will bring you back up and make sure you are feeling ok. You will then be taken to the imaging room where they will do an MRI of your cervical spine. After the MRI you will have to stay in what I call a recovery room for about 3-4 hours after your procedure to make sure you feel ok. During my time in recovery I ate non-stop. This procedure is scary for someones first time but it is not all that bad. Like I mentioned I had this done 2 times and on the second time some of the fluids got into my head resulting in an severe headache.It was the worst headache I could have ever imagined. Luckily for me my Pain Management doctor was located in the building and had to rush me down some meds. When you go make sure you take any pain meds with you just in case.
lydflyfluy6g
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease