Neurology Forum

Childhood obstructive sleep apnea

In general, would undiagnosed obstructive sleep apnea in a child between the ages of 2 and 5 years have a significant impact on their neurological development?  If so, what would the impact be?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Obstructive sleep apnea is not uncommon in childhood and can result in severe consequences if left untreated.

The effects of obstructive sleep apnea in childhood can include lack of growth, heart problems, high blood pressure, and problems with brain development. Specifically, obstructive sleep apnea can cause what is in general referred to as neurocognitive deficits, which include poor learning/learning disability, behavioral problems, and attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). if a patient with seizures has sleep apnea, the sleep apnea can worsen the seizures, but sleep apnea itself does not specifically cause seizures.

The most common cause of obstructive sleep apnea in children include enlarged tonsills/adenoids. Other causes of sleep apnea include neurologic problems (which lead to central sleep apnea). Obesity can also play a role. Diagnosis is with a sleep study (a polysomnogram, PSG). Treatment may include tonsil or adenoid removal, CPAP, or other measures.

Thank you for using the forum, I hope you find this information useful, good luck.
A related discussion, Sleep Apnea & Neurological problems was started.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease