Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.1k Members

Disturbing symptoms... stress or something more?

Hello,

Last Thursday I had an extremely startling series of symptoms.  THe long story follows, or you can scroll down and just read the recap of symptoms.  

I fell asleep around 9:30-10:00 the night before, my typical bedtime, and woke up around 5:30 as usual.  I had woken up in the middle of the night for an unknown cause and was awake for about 30 minutes, which was unusual.

I am working towards my master's and had a clinicals/lecture from 8-2:15, then a few hours break during which I intended to study for an exam at 7:00 pm.  I have a very laid back personality but have been under more stress than usual with an increased workload and an important decision to make in the next few weeks.  

Anyway. When I arrived at my clinicals in the morning I was standing, chatting with a few girls before clients arrived, when I suddenly became quite disoriented.  It felt like being dizzy, but I wasn't dizzy, if that makes sense.  I didn't feel like I would fall down, the room didn't spin, my vision didn't close in... I just suddenly became quite fuzzy.  I seemed to not be able to focus on the girl who I was mid-sentence with and was having trouble following the conversation.  It was like looking at the situation through water or something.  The worst of the sensation passed in a minute or two but I stayed pretty "off" for 20 minutes or so.  

After my clinical I had difficulty recalling the session to record data, and repeatedly left letters out of words as I attempted to write.  I had to cross out or squeeze in letters numerous times in my report.

During my next lecture I was writing notes when a friend pointed out that I had been misspelling some words in my notes.  At first I could not figure out what she even meant until she pointed it out to me specifically and wrote the word correctly.  This was very troubling, because I am a very visual person and have been an excellent speller as long as I can remember.  But the most troubling was that we have been lecturing on the same topic for 3 lectures, and if I turned my page to previous lecture notes I could see the numerous times I had written the word correctly before.  

From there I went to the lab to copy some notes before studying.  After just putting away the notes I meant to copy, I spent ten minutes looking for them.  Then I punched in the wrong copy code so many times I got locked out of the system.  I used this code all last semester, and as recently as two weeks earlier.  I could not, for my life, remember it.  It is only 3 numbers.  

I finally head to the other campus to study for my 7:00 exam.  I print the necessary notes and sit in a secluded corner of the library in a three-walled desk with absolutely no distractions.  No phone, no computer, no background noise, no notes other than those I needed to study.  I absolutely could NOT do it.  My attention is, admittedly, not the best in general, but I am a 4.0 student and can study when I need to.  This time, I could not tolerate reading the material for more than  a couple minutes before needing to look away, stand up, close my eyes, or simply "zone out."  The words seemed to dance around the page and when I looked up, I was startled to find that I could not make my eyes focus on anything more than a few feet in front of me.  I kept rubbing them, thinking that the blurriness would go away but it wouldn't.  (I have perfect vision.)

I eventually forced myself to crack down but ultimately fared poorly and only studied really for an hour or two.  I had eatne a good breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a high-protein snack before trying to study... I was no more tired than any other day...  I don't know why this happened.  I became extremely weepy on the drive home from the exam and could not explain it to my husband when I got home.  

The following day I was weary and agitated ... whenI came home from clinicals at noon I ate lunch and promptly, somewhat manically set forth on cleaning the house house top to bottom... for 4-5 hours.  This is not entirely uncommon and I actually felt a little better after having done it, but I remained extremely irritable and moody the rest of the weekend and couldn't fall asleep till very late last night (or tonight obviously).  I have also had a limited appetite and become full after eating very little the last 3 days.  

And I'm not pregnant.  

So let's recap:

- sudden disorientation
- forgetfulness/ unusual cognitive errors
- vision disturbance
- attention problems
- mood changes
- sleep changes
- appetite change

Not caused by:
- drugs
- pregnancy
- poor diet

Possible factors:
- stress

I am concerned.  Any ideas?
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease