Neurology Community

Disturbing symptoms... stress or something more?

Last Thursday I had an extremely startling series of symptoms.  THe long story follows, or you can scroll down and just read the recap of symptoms.  

I fell asleep around 9:30-10:00 the night before, my typical bedtime, and woke up around 5:30 as usual.  I had woken up in the middle of the night for an unknown cause and was awake for about 30 minutes, which was unusual.

I am working towards my master's and had a clinicals/lecture from 8-2:15, then a few hours break during which I intended to study for an exam at 7:00 pm.  I have a very laid back personality but have been under more stress than usual with an increased workload and an important decision to make in the next few weeks.  

Anyway. When I arrived at my clinicals in the morning I was standing, chatting with a few girls before clients arrived, when I suddenly became quite disoriented.  It felt like being dizzy, but I wasn't dizzy, if that makes sense.  I didn't feel like I would fall down, the room didn't spin, my vision didn't close in... I just suddenly became quite fuzzy.  I seemed to not be able to focus on the girl who I was mid-sentence with and was having trouble following the conversation.  It was like looking at the situation through water or something.  The worst of the sensation passed in a minute or two but I stayed pretty "off" for 20 minutes or so.  

After my clinical I had difficulty recalling the session to record data, and repeatedly left letters out of words as I attempted to write.  I had to cross out or squeeze in letters numerous times in my report.

During my next lecture I was writing notes when a friend pointed out that I had been misspelling some words in my notes.  At first I could not figure out what she even meant until she pointed it out to me specifically and wrote the word correctly.  This was very troubling, because I am a very visual person and have been an excellent speller as long as I can remember.  But the most troubling was that we have been lecturing on the same topic for 3 lectures, and if I turned my page to previous lecture notes I could see the numerous times I had written the word correctly before.  

From there I went to the lab to copy some notes before studying.  After just putting away the notes I meant to copy, I spent ten minutes looking for them.  Then I punched in the wrong copy code so many times I got locked out of the system.  I used this code all last semester, and as recently as two weeks earlier.  I could not, for my life, remember it.  It is only 3 numbers.  

I finally head to the other campus to study for my 7:00 exam.  I print the necessary notes and sit in a secluded corner of the library in a three-walled desk with absolutely no distractions.  No phone, no computer, no background noise, no notes other than those I needed to study.  I absolutely could NOT do it.  My attention is, admittedly, not the best in general, but I am a 4.0 student and can study when I need to.  This time, I could not tolerate reading the material for more than  a couple minutes before needing to look away, stand up, close my eyes, or simply "zone out."  The words seemed to dance around the page and when I looked up, I was startled to find that I could not make my eyes focus on anything more than a few feet in front of me.  I kept rubbing them, thinking that the blurriness would go away but it wouldn't.  (I have perfect vision.)

I eventually forced myself to crack down but ultimately fared poorly and only studied really for an hour or two.  I had eatne a good breakfast, a sandwich for lunch and a high-protein snack before trying to study... I was no more tired than any other day...  I don't know why this happened.  I became extremely weepy on the drive home from the exam and could not explain it to my husband when I got home.  

The following day I was weary and agitated ... whenI came home from clinicals at noon I ate lunch and promptly, somewhat manically set forth on cleaning the house house top to bottom... for 4-5 hours.  This is not entirely uncommon and I actually felt a little better after having done it, but I remained extremely irritable and moody the rest of the weekend and couldn't fall asleep till very late last night (or tonight obviously).  I have also had a limited appetite and become full after eating very little the last 3 days.  

And I'm not pregnant.  

So let's recap:

- sudden disorientation
- forgetfulness/ unusual cognitive errors
- vision disturbance
- attention problems
- mood changes
- sleep changes
- appetite change

Not caused by:
- drugs
- pregnancy
- poor diet

Possible factors:
- stress

I am concerned.  Any ideas?