Neurology Community
45k Members

Dizziness, loss of balance, nausea,

I’ve experience dizzy spells for the last 15 years; perhaps less than 10 attacks from 1997. I’ve had noise in the ear and plugged ear always the same one ear. I had multiple ear infections in childhood and have had a few head traumas.
In 2004, I had a MRI show 5 bulging discs in my low back. L1-5, SI. I’ve had 2 car accidents hit on the right and left, no whiplash though.

Recently, Dec – Jan 2012 severe Vertigo 5 attacks in the last 12 weeks, the vertigo went away after the 6th week, the loss of balance has continued intermittently with an impending threat of vertigo(PTS) I've have severe neck pain, jaw pain, cranial pain, headaches.

The ENT doc(s) have determined that I have Meniere’s (hearing loss, tinnitus, and dizziness) this is based on symptoms and hearing test. They have prescribed diuretics to remove fluids. The first time I took the diuretic I had adverse effects.

Not satisfied, I pushed for an MRI. Good thing; it showed 5mm cerebellar tonsillar ectopia on horizontal MRI, vertical MRI can show much worse. The neurologist working with the ENT, said it was mild and unremarkable (typical response). CTE can considered dangerous in most of the online information that I’ve found especially if it becomes a Chiari malformation with the development of syrinx - a buildup of cerebral spinal fluid (CSF). The symptoms of CTE can be as follows: dizziness, nausea, hearing problems, ear problems, and loss of balance, head and neck pain, pressure in head (cranial).

Now I have been reading about Occipital Neuralgia and the symptoms, which include dizziness. I’m getting confused, and frustrated. I’m losing hope in this effort to find the answer to my problem. I immediately improve with chiropractic adjustments; the problem is I cannot afford to go to the DC every other day.

I’m requesting a second MRI (vertical) and a second opinion to rule out (hopefully) CTE or Chiari Malformation. At this point I would choose to have a surgery in hopes of a restored heath and vigor as opposed to taking medications that are supposed to address symptoms only. I don't want to wake up and find that I liver problems or potassium issues, racing heart, high blood pressure just because I was on medication.

I used to be a person who went to exercise daily, I have a healthy diet, and drink plenty of water. I’ve never used recreational drugs. Drink very little alcohol. It’s really hard to feel like I’ve had a stroke or I’m debilitating. On a good day I am nausea free and almost feel normal, I hear my heart beat in my ear,it feels like my brain and eyes are delayed not tracking when I move or like I’m moving inside my head, sometimes I feel pulled to the left, like I might fall over, last night I felt like I was going have another attack of vertigo.

Can anyone on here make some suggestions?