Neurology Forum

Dizziness/foggy feeling

Hello.  For a few months now, I have been having this somewhat bizarre feeling in my head.  It comes and goes - sometimes lasts a while - sometimes goes away for a week or so.  It's almost like I'm dizzy, but not like I'm about to pass out.  It's almost a similar sensation to motion sickness where I feel like what I'm focusing on with my eyes suddenly makes me kind of nauseous.  I feel kind of "foggy-headed" - kind of like when you have a bad head cold and you're "disconnected", so to speak.  I had been given a new type of contact lenses by my eye doctor, so he switched me to another kind, thinking that these may have been drying out too much and re-shaping on my eye to cause focusing problems.  I'm not sure if this is related to my eyes or something in my head or something else!  It scares me when it happens and it can sometimes last for a few hours where I'm incredibly aware of my head feeling foggy - probably causes me to worry about it more than I should.  I do work most of my day on a computer.  Is this something I should look into?  I was told it could be related to allergies?  Is this something to be concerned about?  I am scheduled for my annual physical with my doctor at the beginning of January - would this warrant seeing him sooner?  Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer.
Dear Just Concerned:

It is difficult to say what may be occuring, as the internet is not a good medium to diagnose an illness.  I think since this have been going on for awhile you are okay to wait until January, UNLESS the symptoms get worse.  I would keep a journal of these events.  Note the time, duration, and what you were feeling. Also include anything associated with the "foggy feeling" such as seeing objects like black dots, colors, nausea, vomiting, etc.  There are many things that can make you feel foggy from sinusitis, medications, viral infections, to the real bad things.  

I hope all is just passing and you are soon back to health.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
The symptom you describe while obviously very distressing is very difficult to attribute to a single cause. Very frequently it is not possible to pin down an exact basis of these vague intermittent subjective feelings.
I would at least be confident that it is not due to an  "allergy" however !!
This could be due to a number of underlying causes, for instance if your blood sugar is low this can occurr, you would need to have your blood sugar level checked during one of the episodes to be sure.
Very rarely this can be due to epileptic activity, but you would need an EEG during one of the episodes to clarify this.
One way to help determine if this is a serious problem is to ask if other people notice something wrong during one of the episodes, if so it is more likely to have a definite organic basis. I cannot advise you when to see your doctor but I do this  this shoud be brought to his / her attention and investigated.
Thank you so much for your quick answers!  I will start keeping track of what is specifically going on and be sure to talk to my doctor about it in January.  He is doing some routine bloodwork in December before my physical, so I may mention it to him before then in case he wants to have anything extra run on my blood.  Thanks again.
This is very interesting...I was dizzy for 6 months, and saw halos, fluorescent light really made it bad...The weird thing is I got my first pair of glasse for nearsightedness and it started to clear up however I still get lightheaded but not as bad....I have very tight neck muscles I think from posture problems , and I thought I might have been squinting causing my neck muscles to become tenser and making things worse...I too have a feeling of dry eyes and scratched my left cornea before all this started..it wasn't healing properly...I thought I had MS or something but had normal MRI of Brain, cervical and lumbar and normal EP's.How could the eye cause this dizziness folks? CCF Neuro or anyone else who cares to comment? My symptoms "just concerned" were a lot like yours....Strange stuff.
Dear Kevin:

The tracts of the eye and vestibular system are connected.  If there is disruption of either, there can be dizziness.  For example, motion illness, in some people the eye does not process movement correctly and therefore one gets nauseated and sometimes a lightheaded feeling.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you for your response...my neuro is very open minded, and when I show him information like this, particularly from another neurologist, he is very receptive and actually asks for copies of this information....to help decide things...( I've had the other types of doctors who dismiss anything I bring to them as " forget everything from the internet") so I'm very lucky...Since just concerned and I seem to have a similar problem, is there a test that can be performed for this this type of thing and which specialist.Last post, promise. Thank you again.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease