Neurology Forum

Do these MRI results plus synptoms indicate MS?

For several years, my mother has been suffering from limb pain and numbness and lack of power and balance. Previously she experienced tingling and she also suffers from disphagia. Her MRI revealed 2 foci of increased signal intensity in deep white matter of left cerebral hemisphere. What would this indicate? What testing should be done to persue this? She has experienced difficulty getting a proper diagnosis for her illness in this country.
Abnormal spots in the brian can either be do to a stroke, MS, headache, vitamin deficiencies, or auto-immune disorders. You have not stated her age or other medical condtions. If she is older and has a disease such as high blood pressure then the most likely diagnosis is stroke. However without seeing her and her films, I can not make an accurate diagnosis.

Based on the diseases I have stated above, one can check many things. If this is a stroke the heart should be screened to look for a source of stroke (such as an abnormal heart beat or clots). If your mother is younger and the MRI is suspicious for inflammatory diseases then blood work and perhaps a spinal fluid analysis could be done.

I recommend you discuss your mothers care with her doctors and try and determine what they think is most likely. Then try and have testing to prove or disprove this possibility. Good luck
Except for the MRI symptoms, all of the stated symtoms COULD be caused by a methylB12 deficiency which can occur even while taking or receiving cyanocobalamin orally or by injection.
Burning and Tingling sensations on left and right side arm, shoulderblade, left and right side leg and top of foot. Headaches, Tingling under right eye across nose, chin and face.  I don't know if this is MS.  Can anyone please give me some advice.  

Thank you
Paulette
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease