Neurology Forum

EMG Reults and Symptoms

I am concerned about having ALS - I am a 35 year old male that began having fasciculations about 2 months ago. About 3 weeks ago had a neuro exam which was normal - followed up with an EMG of the left leg and arm - both of which I was told were normal. I am now having some slight pain/ache in the left leg and left shoulder and I suddenly have been biting my tongue and lips when I talk.

My questions are:

1. Could the EMG that was performed been to early to suggest early onset of ALS? Further, could the EMG been on muscles that have not been affected yet by the disease? Note: the Dr. sampled about 5 muscles in the leg and 5 in the arm and hand!

2. With Bulbar involvment - would biting of the tongue and lips be a symptom? What muscles would need to be sampled with an EMG to suggest ALS?
Dear Scott:

Sorry to hear about your fasciculations.  Having fasciculations during which the neurological exam did not pick up any muscle weakness, and the EMG did not pick up any muscle changes practically rules out ALS.  The number of muscles tested would have been sufficient to diagnose ALS.  Usually bubar onset, as the name implies begins with bulbar signs-difficult swallowing, chewing, etc.  The fasciculations would be in the bulbar muscles, of tongue, face, larynx, etc and not in the extremities.  It would be highly unusual to see extremities and bulbar signs together early in the disease.  Usually by the time a bulbar ALS is picked up, the patient has lost 20-30% of their body weight and has very difficult time eating and swallowing their saliva.

I would agree with your neurologist and tell you that you do not have ALS.

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
Thank you for your reply.
I know this is out of line, but I cannot find hardly any information on the above antibodies.  I have numbness and other parasthesia's, twitching, loss of reflexes, dry eyes, saliva gland quit working, and MG.  My neurologist ran the above test in Jan and the numbners were below 10.  They re-ran the test in March which showed a borderline result of 21.5 with 23.5 being as positive.  The mag was 10.  Do you think that is an indicaiton that something is progressing and they should re-run the test?  What are those antibodies responsible for?  Thank you for your time.
CAROL!!

stop spamming this site and detsroying its integrity. It is a forum for concerned questions and trained physician's responses, as well as for patients to share information.

IF Aspartmae and MSG were supposedly responsible for these illnesses, why would we not see millions of people worldwide with affected - millions drink and eat the products that contain Aspartame and MSG...yet ALS remains a rare disease being diagnosed in only 1-2 unfortunate people per 100,000 population. There has been no documented increase in the occurence of the illness with the availability of ANY food substance. AND, if it were as easy as these being the cause, all the wonferful researchers looking into cures and medical intervention to stop progression would have their answers.

KNOCK IT OFF!!!
Carol,
Neurologists are not in a conspiracy to hide the
truth about aspartame-what would they gain by that? I'm sure there is an aspartme website you can go to, rather then accuse or call names on this site.
Carol,
I watched 60 minutes earlier this week and according to studies a young man was diagnosed with ALS and his brother quit his job and moved home to try and find a treatment for this horrifying disease.  They also made it perfectly clear that no one is doing anything to push research for ALS.  I was mortified to think that people that now have it have no hope as well as future generations.  Why is know one working on this and other terrible diseases!!
ALS is considered an "orphan" disease, it's incidence of 1-2 in 100,000 of the general population puts
it out of the minds and pocketbooks of the average person.  Unfortunately these days, it's how many,
and in some cases, who's getting, a particular disease that dictates the amount of research being
done, how much funding is available, and how much publicity is being generated to keep any one
particular illness in our daily conciousness.
through Project ALS and also the organization started by the Heywood's profiled on 60 Minutes, progress is starting to be made. Also, don't forget the Jerry Lewis MDA Telethon actually supports ALL neuromuscular disease reseearch and they discussed ALS many times on the telethon this year - they earned $54 mill. While it may not be enough yet, and it is tragic where we arwe today, progress is being made and there is finally some hope. let's keep our fingers crossed.
Thank you for the information.  I was not aware that the Jerry Lewis telethon monies went to all neuromuscular diseases.  I hope all of these diseases can be controlled soon.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease