Effects of anesthesia on Peripheral Neuropathy?

Posted By Jen Schiller on April 20, 1998 at 00:15:49:

Hello.  This is the third time I have tried to get this question answered on this forum.  I have had one acute attack of transverse myelitis which resulted in lower body paralysis.  I am now recovering and able to walk fairly well with only occasional use of a cane.  I have an abdominal hernia which is getting larger, and I will probably require surgery within the next few months.  My neurologist is concerned, and says general anesthesia can cause a relapse.  I've tried to research this on the www, but have come up with references primarily to spinal anesthesia and epidural anesthesia being sometimes associated with relapses, not general anesthesia, although there were some instances of relapses associated with surgery.  What are the chances of surgery to repair the hernia resulting in a relapse? (% odds?) I don't see how I can avoid having the surgery, but I would like to know what I can do to lessen the odds of a reoccurrance.  Would appreciate a response.  Thanks very much.
A related discussion, Fibro mylagia and anesthesia was started.

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Forum

Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease