Neurology Community
45k Members

Epidural leads to neurological complications?

Hello, I had a Caudal injection done in the area of L4-S1 on 10-3-13. I had a decline in my neurological functioning with difficulty with word finding, using wrong words for objects. severe headaches that occur daily. I am sensitives to noises and have not been able to go into noisey places without having migraines soon after. I have been placed on topamax with a dose increased to 100mg twice a day. I have no history of migraines. I was 2 weeks from graduation from my masters degree from phoenix when I had to have a medical medical withdrawl from school due hospitalization from intractable migraines. At this time I have a hard time spelling words that I was very familiar with. Has anyone heard of this happening before for an epidural injection? I have had 4 done previously in the past. I am being followed by a neurologist. they are treating this as a migraine. I have had it for 2 months at this point. every single day. I return to work monday as I am not getting any better and I financially cant stay out of work and need a income.
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Inability to find the right words is a type of aphasia. It is found in people with lupus, Sjogren's Syndrome, and Hashimotos thyroiditis. Usually this is caused due to encephalopathy or involvement of brain. Hence all these need to be ruled out. Usually there are lesions in the brain which cause this. Hence a MRI of brain is a must.

Other than this the symptoms could partially be explained by a spinal headache. This is treated with epidural blood patch and medications. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.