Neurology Forum

Epstein Barr Virus and neurological symptoms

Re: Epstein Barr Virus and neurological symptoms

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF Neurology MD on February 18, 1998 at 22:30:25:

In Reply to: Epstein Barr Virus and neurological symptoms posted by Jaime on February 18, 1998 at 20:15:19:

: I have had EBV for 4 months now, and I have recently started having muscle spasms in my left leg, and numbness and tingling sensations on the right side of my face and my right hand.  Can EBV cause this?  Are there any good EBV resources on the net?  Thanks
Dear Jamie,
Yes, EBV can cause neurological symptoms which may develop up to several months following the initial infection.  Symptoms may include meningitis, ataxia (difficulty with coordination and walking like drunk), various cranial nerve problems, polyradiculopathy (numbness and tingling sensations, weakness) and a guillian barre syndrome (potentially the most serious because it can lead to progressive weakness and sensory changes).  Muscle cramps have been described but only in the thoracolumbar region (low back region).  It sound as if you may have symptoms of a neuropathy (numbness and tingling) however, with facial symptoms, you may have a cranial nerve involved as well.  In general, the chance of improvement is favorable.  If you have not been evaluated by a neurologist, I would suggest that you do so.  If you are interested in getting an evaluation by a neurologist at CCF, call 1-800-CCF-CARE.  Ask for the neurology appointments secretary. I do not know of any web sites that would provide you with information.

A related discussion, Epstein Barr Virus was started.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease