Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

Essential tremor, benign myoclonus, and benign fasciculations?

Hello,

Today I was diagnosed with essential tremor and told to try alcohol, just once as a "trial" for if essential, which worked 100%! However, I was surprised that half a drink helped my fasciculations and myoclonus too. Does anyone know why these would respond to alcohol and not just the essential tremors?

I'm really surprised. Shocked, even.

The endocrinologist sent me to the neurologist. My doctors are all in one complex. I had blood work, which I'm waiting for the results from since I've had my thyroid and parathyroids removed and thought it could be related. The endocrinologist did not think so, sent me to the neurologist, I had a strong screening plus an EMG, and he was certain it was essential tremor, benign fasciculations, and benign myoclonus. I'm about 40 years old and female in good health except the endocrine problems. My family has no history of this. However, the one drink worked completely, and I was astonished that it also stopped the fasciculations and myoclonus, which the neurologist said were different. However, they all responded to alcohol. Customarily, I do not really drink because I was taking another medication for years that interfered with alcohol.

It also stopped a burning feeling in my legs that wasn't really addressed today.

So now I'm diagnosed with benign fasciculations, benign myoclonus, and essential tremors? They all began at the same time. Does this sound right? Has anyone else been diagnosed with all three? Did they find they were part of some other thing? It seems like this all started at the same time, so it doesn't quite add up to me. Thus said, does anyone else find fasciculations, myoclonus, and essential tremor ALL respond to a drink? I can't find info online about anything but the essential tremors responding to this.

Also, what next for me? Obviously wait out the blood labs to check my thyroid levels, parathyroid levels, magnesium levels, and anemia, but really, this is a lot to process. Again, I do not normally drink.

Thanks for a reply!
0 Responses
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease