Neurology Community

Essential tremor, benign myoclonus, and benign fasciculations?

Today I was diagnosed with essential tremor and told to try alcohol, just once as a "trial" for if essential, which worked 100%! However, I was surprised that half a drink helped my fasciculations and myoclonus too. Does anyone know why these would respond to alcohol and not just the essential tremors?

I'm really surprised. Shocked, even.

The endocrinologist sent me to the neurologist. My doctors are all in one complex. I had blood work, which I'm waiting for the results from since I've had my thyroid and parathyroids removed and thought it could be related. The endocrinologist did not think so, sent me to the neurologist, I had a strong screening plus an EMG, and he was certain it was essential tremor, benign fasciculations, and benign myoclonus. I'm about 40 years old and female in good health except the endocrine problems. My family has no history of this. However, the one drink worked completely, and I was astonished that it also stopped the fasciculations and myoclonus, which the neurologist said were different. However, they all responded to alcohol. Customarily, I do not really drink because I was taking another medication for years that interfered with alcohol.

It also stopped a burning feeling in my legs that wasn't really addressed today.

So now I'm diagnosed with benign fasciculations, benign myoclonus, and essential tremors? They all began at the same time. Does this sound right? Has anyone else been diagnosed with all three? Did they find they were part of some other thing? It seems like this all started at the same time, so it doesn't quite add up to me. Thus said, does anyone else find fasciculations, myoclonus, and essential tremor ALL respond to a drink? I can't find info online about anything but the essential tremors responding to this.

Also, what next for me? Obviously wait out the blood labs to check my thyroid levels, parathyroid levels, magnesium levels, and anemia, but really, this is a lot to process. Again, I do not normally drink.

Thanks for a reply!