Neurology Forum

Extreme Irritability

About once a week I get these very uncomfortable irritable sensations throughout my spine and it causes soreness and stiffness in my back and neck sometimes, then I get fatigue and depressed.  I cant tolerate hearing loud noises or being around people, it makes it a lot worse.  I am on the anti-depressant Celexa at 10 mg, was on 10 mg of lexapro but switched. Can depression cause these painful symptoms or could it be something else?
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to obtain a history from you and examine you, I can not comment on a formal diagnosis or treatment plan for your symptoms. However, I will try to provide you with some information regarding this matter.

Depression can cause unexplained physical symptoms, such as back pain or headaches and also can increase your response to pain.  A lot of research has linked depression and pain to the same pathways in the brain and some of the same chemicals control both pain and your mood, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if your depression isn't well controlled, especially you telling me about the fatigue and irritability which is highly associated with depression.  Your dosage of 10mg is also a small dose.  Speak to your doctor or psychiatrist about whether an increase in your dosage may help.  In addition, certain medical conditions can also cause some of these symptoms such as hypothyroidism or vitamin deficiencies.  I would highly recommend speaking to your doctor about these conditions if you haven't already been evaluated for them.  

If your symptoms progress to a greater discomfort, greater frequency, or frank pain, then you should have your spine evaluated by a physician and an imaging study such as an MRI scan of the spine.  

I hope this information was helpful.  Best of luck.  
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease