Facial numbness following an accident

I recently fell down and hit my face.  Since that time I've had numbness in the right side of my nose and down through my right cheek, lip and front tooth.  Do I have nerve damage and will it go away on it's own?   Suzen
I mean i have chronic compression of the nerve...its minor compression, but doctors said..decompression won;t help after so many time
hello

do you know, that you may have compressed nerve by a plate installed on the orbital floor ?
have you ever checked that ?
2nd or 3rd opinion

Is there a way to se whether a nerve is still present in the face? 3.5 month after my accident I still can't move the bottom left part of my lips. I saw a cosmetic surgeon and he said wait another 3 month (to reach 6 month wait) and if the lips still doesn't move then he will open and look for the nerve and either do nothing if the nerve is missing or do nerve graft.

So I'm wondering whether anything could be done to avoid the surgery and know now if the nerve is there or missing?

Thanks for the help.  
Hi...
I've read, you had surgery after face trauma

Did you have open reduction ?
Did your surgeon install plates on the malar bone ? large incision inside the mouth ?
If you did, how works your face/cheek muscles now ? any problems ?

Please answer...I'm afraid of complications..after surgery
I have question for those, who had reconstructive surgery:

if you have installed plates on the malar bone - for example through the large incision inside the mouth..did you have or do you have any problem with face / cheek muscles after surgery ?

Please answer
consider MRI ...ask doctor
this is also motor nerve, then you can use ENG/EMG test methods

your nerve might be cutted, crushed or strongly compressed
and yes, you can wait another 3 months.. waiting 6 months is gold standard in nerves damages..however..during this time..some tests should be performed

Cosmetic surgeon?  this is problem rather should be trated by maxillo-facial surgeon/neurosurgeon / neurologist
I forgot..ask also about LEP test method - this is not well known - but good thing to researh
little pain... do you also feel little constant pain on affected area ? especially when you touch (the pain increase)
thanks for the advices. What is LEP method ?

To answer your question I don't feel any pain on the affected area.
question about pain was for all on the forum....

SO TO ALL OF YOU
...... do you also feel little constant pain on affected area ? especially when you touch (the pain increase)
=======================================

LEP is rather good in testing small sensory nerves (on the scull)...I'm waiting for some doctor's answer in order to know if I can use this method in my case...
ENG/EMG you can use when you can set 2 electrods - on the points along a nerve..then you simple can determine the amplitudes and others preporties of the electric signal between them, and at the same time you can get some info about the condition of the nerve

LEP: Laser evoked potentials (LEPs) are one of the few neurophysiological methods available whose purpose is to evaluate the functions of small fibres’ sensory pathways Ad and C. This non-invasive technique is applied at the present time in diagnosing small fibre neuropathy. In order to record distinctive and repetitive evoked potentials from the surface of the skull, the skin of the dorsal surface of the hands and feet is stimulated with laser thermal, nociceptive stimuli. The main cortical laser-evoked potential is a complex of components N2-P2. Evaluation of the registered potentials in- cludes their morphology with shape, latency and amplitude

also check this

SEP method

http://www.uihealthcare.org/2column.aspx?id=237234

I have the same situation as you.Has the numbness and tingling subsided?It has been 4 days of it for me:(
Update.  It has been 15 months. I would say I have 95%+  feeling back. Only residue is now that side of my nose runs or stuffs up quite a bit.
History. Crashed on dirt bike, flew about 40 ft in the air before landing, impacting the inside of my dirt helmet, with my cheek area. Had small fractures, dr gave no treatment.
Hey had a wreck last night and today my right side of my face is twitching and part of it has went numb. What could be the problem.
look on CT how looks your infraorbital canal
I'm still depressed, that my neurologist didn't send me to maxillo-facial surgeon and didn't perform CT  this reduced my chances for full nerve recovery

I have about 90% of normal feeling on all the area... it's very annoying :(
As I see noone of You have overlooked facial bone fracture
Had a guy jump the gun on a conversation assumed the worse and punch me 3 times in the left side of the face 'Three Piece' they called it... anyhow I noticed nerve shutdown right away but I was able to stay standing with a smile on my face so I figured not too much damage was done so no fractures, had small cut to the eye and puffing below my eye near my nose and a fat lip AKA typical boxer injury, have not been to the doctor as this happened yesterday and office is closed but seems no need to rush the ER for mine but I feel numbness in my 4 left top teeth and a constant tingling and partial numbness in the tip of my thumb even, I feel the constant annoying need to pop the bone below my eye and my nose but when I apply pressure to do so my left cheek, arm, thumb tingle and my teeth hurt immensely I assume just pinched the nerve due to tingling all the way to my thumb and I read that the cheekbone will eventually cross the nerve again putting it all back to order but I will see the doc to be sure when I can and keep updated but mainly putting my part here to display if anyone has tingling also in their arm and are slightly concerned that they don't flip out
Weehaaa!  after 3 years of contanst mild compression due to overlooked minor ZMC fracture which caused mild numbness which was so annoying... I got shot near the infraorbital canal with cortisone and started laser stymulation teraphy..and I have 100% of feeling after 2 weeks...no numbness...I have a lot of pain probably due to compression or regenerating process...but the most important is I do not have now negative symptoms (permament damage) only positive which may fade out over the time or after decompression surgery.... 3 years of nerve compression and still alive..I'm a robo cop :) i'm so happy ....i'm so happy despite of pain and little deformation (little flattened side of face) For those with chronic problem (> 1 year) try these 2 medical procedures... cortisone shot near infraorbial foramen and laser teraphy - this was my idea, noone doctor was able to help me
... I meant shot with a cortisone drug (but which works very long ..few weeks)
Manicmocker you should be examined by maxillo-facial surgeon ..do not make my mistake.. you might have no big fracture, but very mild which may compressing your ION nerve...
I got punched in my left eye, causing a couple of lacerations above and below my eye.  They required stitches, about 6-7.  I do have all the common symptoms that others are explaining here. Numbness, swollen and a "dentist like" Novocain dulness.  There are occsional tingles and other sensations, but Im wondering if the shots to numb the lacerated region and their side affects have not worn off. Or if this is going to be a few weeks to a few month process to regain sensation.  Kind of sounds like it. I get my stitches out in a couple of days and will report back after talking to the Dr. My nose is pulsating as we speak...ughhh!
Bicycle accident 4 days ago. 27 mph didn't see a asphalt rock at night. landed on my face--helmet protected my head. My goggles gave me a nice gash over the eye and a large black eye. I have numbness in my upper teeth- when I press under the eye and on the side of the nose I get a "zing" into my teeth., I assume a maxillary fracture..Guess I will just wait it out. Should heal in 4-6 weeks- hopefully the abnormal sensation in the teeth will resolve
Well... i guess i am the latest...lol. Was hanging out with some friends, told my boy to stop drinking the teqquilla. but he wasn't listening to me. We had a good night overall until the ride home when he decided to jump me. I would love to thank all those who posted their fears and worries, because with this new Health care i don't know if i could afford to see a Doc. i have the same issues...runny nose, numbness on the right side of my face and numb front teeth. I guess i will let time heal as my swelling went down and the numbness is going away slowly after one week. i would suggest plenty of rest
Here is my story.  I was snow tubing with my wife and kids and when I went down the hill the first time I was going pretty fast and I actually hit the padded wall at the end of the hill.  As soon as I got up I felt like I was just punched in the face but I attributed that to hitting the wall and it being so cold outside.  The next day I felt a tingling feeling on my left forehead but nothing to bothersome.  Than the second day and for a few days after that area felt itchy.  It almost seemed to go away for a day but than I got a headache and soon after the numbness was back but this time it was my left forehead, left side of nose, under my left eye and down to my left side of my mouth (both upper and lower lip).  It has been 3 days and the numbness is slowly going away around my lips, but my left side of my nose and under my right eye are still numb.  Hopefully after a few more days or weeks the feeling will come back.  Other than this I feel completely fine.  Thanks in advance for any help or answers you may have....
I had a cycling injury in late September 2013. I landed on my face. My helmet protected my skull. My mouth was ripped open. My teeth were killing after the accident, but I did not lose any of them. The pain in the teeth disappeared within a few days. 6 month later though, I still have numbness in my lower lip area and it is frustrating to live with. The doctor told me it can take years as the nerve endings in the facial area are very detailed. I massage the area regularly hoping it will stimulate the area more. I had plastic surgery around my lower face too from the accident, which is healing well. I just wish the numbness in my lower lip area would go away.
After reading this thread I felt like this numbness in my mouth, lips, gums, nose, cheek, and teeth was not something too uncommon. I also have a lot of pain and limited use of the left side of my face. It hurts when I bite down, I am unable to smile, and have had a constant headache. I waited 5 days to go to the doctor. I hit the left side of my face when I fell and after 3 days I had 2 black eyes on top of the bruising on my face. I was sent to ER for CT scan by the Doctor...Which revealed I have 4 broken bones in my face and require surgery to regain full feeling and use of the left side of my face. I Highly recommend going and having your face looked at if u experience any of this numbness. I have to call surgeon on Monday and schedule surgery....Was NOT just something that will go away with time!
I had an accident this past Saturday. I fell on the left side of my face while out drinking with my buddies. It was really painful so I went to the ER to be safe. The doctor felt around and said she didn't think I had a fracture, but possibly a concussion. I felt no numbness at first, but shortly before I left half of my top lip went numb. I told the doctor and she said it was normal. Next morning I noticed my upper left side of my lip, half of my left nose, and area under eye was numb. I hope the feeling comes back soon. I can still feel cold/hot sensation, and sometimes feels like it's tingling a little. Plan to go see a doc if no feeling by Monday.
I was assaulted bt a 34 yr old patient. He gave me several blows on my left side of my face which is lip,cheekbone,and side of head. I don't recall how many punches and how I made it to the nurses station. Then I drove myself to urgent care. I was kind of confuse but was able to make a 30 mile drive. It's been a month, after seeing L&I doctor,behavioral medical doctor I was refer to a neurology doctor. He diagnosed me with Trigeminal nerve disorder. I started today the medication he prescribe Gabapentin ( neurontin) and order an MRI. So I'm waiting hoping I'm ok but at the same time I want them to be able to see the nerve which is causing the pain. I have constant pain but sometimes it's more severe than other days and has kept me awake for weeks,falling asleep about 3:00 am to 6:30am everyday. I'm depressed, poor concentration ,anxiety,and a little on the edge - moody.some of these symptoms has been accumulated by my L&I doctor wanting me to go back to work after a week of the assault. When I told him I was going to get a second opinion because of my symptoms he finally send me to see a neurology doctor after a month of pain. Hopefully I have found closure to my problem and start getting the right treatment to recover and return to work. So for this to happen I have to be 100% focus. It's a slow process, lots of wasted time but hopefully in the right track . Thanks for listening to my true story
I hate to be another post on "what happened," but I promise to post again if I improve!  I was hit on the side of the head, had a black eye for 10 days, painful sinus, bloody nose.  Even the white of my eye was bloody.  Swelling and bruising is pretty much back to normal.  I can't feel a few of my upper teeth and a part of my face on that side.  My doctor said the trigeminal nerve has been damaged, but didn't seem to know too much about it.  I go to the neuorologist in a few more days.  I'm a little worried that I haven't read too many recovery stories.
I was hit in the right side of my face with a basketball. I am experiencing shooting pain in my cheekbone under my eye near my nose through my cheek down to and under my right jaw. Teeth hurt badly on right side too.Bite is off. Headaches persist with pain in neck and back. I am afraid I fractured a facial bone.This happened at work. What tests should I be getting and how quickly should I get them. Workers comp is dragging their feet.
10 weeks ago I was hit directly in the face by a speeding cyclist.  Sustained a fractured nose, wrist, finger, chipped tooth, lacerations to face above eye, bridge to my nose and under left nostril, my rimless Titanium 'indestructible' glasses caused the lacerations and black eye.  MRI and CT carried out. Bones and lacerations now healing however I experienced numbness, swelling and could feel a hard mass under top lip.  Also experienced altered taste. Dentist Xrayed and said it was nerve damage. Tingling sensation started about 4 weeks ago in this area and is now prolonged and the swelling has subsided.  Still have numbness along left side and tip of my nose. Reading this thread has comforted me somewhat in that the tingling must be a good sign and that healing takes time. Still experiencing short term memory loss and confusion.  
When I was at work got kicked in the face had a nose bleed and now it has been 6 days since it happened the swelling has gone away but the numbness s still there. I hate sneezing and blowing my nose because it hurts....... When you move it It makes a word clicking sound do u think it is broken.      
I was punched in the right cheek multiple times, with badly depressed fracture of the maxilla region. Surgeons don't see the need to operate since structurally the cheek, eye socket and jaw are intact, but may have suffered nerve damage as a result. The prognosis is a matter of time.

I have numb right nose and upper lip/gum area because of this. I feel the need to scratch my nose and lip a bit and if I move it sometimes it tingles. '

Has only been a week since the incident and I will continue to update my progress.
Great to hear you were heading in the positive direction of recovery!
SUCKER PUNCH! I didnt see it coming. didnt talk to the guy really. I got hit under right eye and then my face hit the ground. I woke up to swelling and actually, the black eye was not bad at all! The numbness is there though. Glad to read all of this you guys posted. Alot of you have it worse than I. Good luck. I await my tingles.
was driving my bicycle at night and it was snowing and i was in slope going down and another guy with his bike he was drunk coming in other direction i saw him but at the last second he just turn and came and stop on my head, the good thing is that he stayed and help me he call the ambulance, i had a concussion 2 stiches above my eye and ofc the numbness on my left side cheek lip tooth nose.. and a black closed eye, its been 5 days now my eye is a bit better but with a lot of broken blood vessels, lot of headaches. i feel the tingling on my face, and also when i blow my nose it hurts like a **** and  there is blood coming out, and from my mouth,  iv read many comments here i feel optimistic about it to feel better soon.  Doctor said ill have a black eye for 2 months, so i guess maybe in 2 months ill get some feelings on my face back!

Sorry for my english, and i will keep u posted also for updates!!
Hi 6 years ago my left cheek bone was broken and my left orbital bone was crushed, ex husband kicked me in the face with steel toed boots on. Recently, probably past 6 month i have had swelling in that area combined with dizziness and my eye just feels "oozy". I continue to have nerve damage, upper left side of lip, top left teeth, cheek to corner of left eye. My eye still feels that tightness when i squeeze my eye shut. My problem is the recent swelling of my cheek bone combined with the dizziness. So i went to the ER and the doctor spent two min with me yes noticed the swelling i told him the story told him i was concerned. he did no tests!!! Sent me home with a rx for basically dramamine. He said it takes a long time for nerves to heal and to see an ent for the swelling and dizziness., I have not done that yet. Dont really know what to do !!
I got hit in the face by half a ton of horse a week ago (unexpected gas gun bird scarier went off in the field opposite my stable yard and I happened to be in the wrong place). I don't know if to laugh or cry at some of these comments; numb lip, teeth, side of nose...maybe I'll get lucky and it will start tingling ...fingers crossed :((
so 16 days after the accident and i already started to feel my face, the numb is going away so good news! :) it takes times but be patient people Human bodies needs time to heal
Got punched in the right side of my face around 6-7 times in a sparring match and I also got the same area numbness. 1 week now and I've only recovered about 30-40% of the feeling.

What I found is if I try to stretch my mouth towards the opposite side (like im trying to kiss my left cheek with my lips without moving my head, if that helps) I get a stabbing pain in the numb area BUT after doing that there are parts that are no longer numb.

So instead of just massaging try to make facial expressions slowly that engage the damaged nerves.

In my case is puckering my lips and moving them towards the opposite cheek trying to extend them as much as possible.

Good luck everyone.
While relaxing in a nightclub, I was attacked by five guys and I missed a lot of punches on my face. Now three days after the incident. I'm completely numb right side of the nose, the whole half of the upper jaw. And  if the pressure on the bruise near the nose, and immediately feel the crunch and then bleeding from the nose. Tomorrow I go to the doctor,
Christmas eve I tripped on a parking lot of concrete and had a shovel in one hand and my other hand in my jacket pocket. I'm a 61yr. Old female. I fell fast and flat on my face. I had on glasses that were shoved against my eye socket. It happened so fast and hurt so bad, I couldn't move or cry. I just lay there praying. Finally I managed to get up and somehow got inside and put ice on my face. The pain was so bad I just sat in shock, I guess. Husband came home and freaked out. My right eye was shut, purple, nose, cheek, scabbed up. Hours later the blood pooled into my jaw and neck. I looked like a monster. My face pulled down. My mouth pulled down. I kept icing it and a few days later my whole right side looked like I had a tennis ball in my mouth. It was hard. So I took clean new very sharp pins and drained a lot of blood out of my cheek. It was brown. I moved pin up to a higher spot and got bright red blood, but less. Moved up higher again and even pushed pin into my mouth through cheek... no, it did not hurt. All I got was clear liquid. Now the lump was half size but hard and no more blood would come out. It's almost one month and I have some swelling I can massage down with heat but comes back the next morning and teeth hurt, ear was numb but is better now. I'm getting tingling and shocking feelings in my cheek. Which is good. I'm giving it a couple more weeks then will go to my Dr. And listen to him chew me out.
On December 13 I was rear ended while driving home from work. I was hit really hard and my car was totaled. Besides shoulder neck and lower back bain, I have right face numbness. What is scary is that it is making my vision blurry. Has anyone had to deal with this
two days now since i was hit in the face and my right side of the check is paralyzed. my gum cant feel and am worried. what can i really do?
I collapsed on September 19th & when I came round my right side of my face was numb from hitting the floor. I had no feeling under my eye, down my nose, top lip or front teeth. It was quite badly bruised & swollen. I had an X-ray and luckily there were no breaks. The swelling & bruising has gone and it's finally come back to life over the last 3 weeks. Lots of itching and shooting pains in my cheek which I guess is a good thing as the nerves are coming back to life. The only down side is the tenderness is still there. My cheek is very sore still - I find it hard to even put on face cream it so tender. I'm hoping this goes too.
It feels like you're repeating my story? Yes, swelling and bruising was awful, but the tingly and numbness under my right eye still persists. I must have damaged some nerves in my cheek. Wish I knew what damage I did and whether it will go away?
17 days ago, I got elbowed hard while guarding a guy about my height (5"6) to the cheekbone. I immediately couldn't feel the left side of my face and I felt crosseyed my vision was super messed up. It hurt, but there wasn't a lot of swelling. I really didn't want to go to a doctor because they would have ordered a CT scan and x-rays and even on insurance those are very expensive. I think they would just tell me it would get better in time.I had a small dark horizontal mark near the top of my cheekbone just at the edge or below the orbital. After about 20 minutes, my vision improved and the numb area reduced to just the left side of my nose mostly around my left nostril and upper left lip. The mark is now gone 17 days later, but I have had persistent numbness since that time. The numbness has improved slowly, it was totally numb like I I was on novocaine, now the whole area sort of just slightly feels like a fat lip kind of up. The last two days I've developed an intense sinus infection, but it's also just the start of Spring and maybe its allergies or a cold - I could be susceptible after getting injured.

I've been doing a lot of research and I find this thread very informative. From what I can tell, there is a nerve that has ending that go just to the left of your nose and upper lip. I never felt tenderness like I broke anything and there was no fracture, but there was a slightly darkened area where I had been hit in the nose years previously after this injury. I suspect maybe the slightly upward angle of the ball of his elbow really dug into my cheek and the pressure maybe somehow caused my upper sinus cavity to be damaged.

I'm going to the eye doctor tomorrow. The first day or two I kind of had a slightly unsynchronized eye look but it's improved. If I tilt my head down a bit and try and look up I get a little crosseyed. I'm probably a little paranoid, but I just want to make sure my vision is not permanently damaged from this. It's odd because of all the facial injuries I've taken (8 or so) I've never had numbness last this long by any stretch. It's also probably the least swelling I've ever had after getting hit in the face.

I would say that I'm probably on the lowest degree of this kind of injury - no one jumped me or assaulted me - I just took a hard elbow square to the cheek. I probably only have around 25% or so numbness now and its been 17 days. I'm hopeful that in another 17 days this feeling will be completely gone.

I hope my story is helpful to those of you who have experienced these sensations but haven't had massive swelling or a black eye. I did feel a little bit of pain initially in my eye when I would try to blow my nose and I did have a little bits of blood come up my throat for a few days, but considering that the injury was mostly under the skin in the back top part of my sinus, I didn't find that surprising.

Its now been 35 days and the numbness is still there. Probably around 15-20% instead of 25. It's mostly focused around my left nostril now and just below it. Get a bit of cold sensations there at times but sometimes it almost feels normal. My balance is back to normal, vision is basically normal. I've always had a little bit of double vision in the left side probably from a previous elbow to the eye many years ago. I feel basically normal now other than just a bit of numbness focused below the left nostril. I'll update again in another 3 weeks or so. Hoping it goes away in a month or less now, but I've read facial nerve damage can take 3-6 months for these facial nerves to heal so I might be overly optimistic.
A month ago I was racing my sister through a field and I ran faster than my legs could go and I did a face plant. I dont know where my hands and knees were at, as only my face broke my fall. I had a bit of a black eye, my face didnt really look bad, mostly just red speckled. But since the fall I have been numb on my left side, upper lip, gums, cheek, half of my nose and under my eye. Im pretty used to the feeling now, but it hurts when Im out in chilly weather. One month down, I read somewhere it can take 3-6 months so Ill come back when its gone so I can tell ya how long it took me. Im never racing my sister again! lol