Avatar universal

Fainting Spells

I am 17 years old female.  I have been having dizzy spells, which cause me to fall.  It has been going on  for over 1 year.  Lately I have been fainting and falling alot (very embarrising since I am in High School).  Just recently I have also been getting severe leg and back cramps/spasms.  I am having a hard time sleeping at night getting only about 3 to 4 hours of sleep.  This has also been going on for over 1 year.  I have seen several doctors, who have run MRI's, CAT scans and they all have done blood work.  Everything always comes up normal.  I just don't feel well anymore.  My parents have scheduled an appointment with a heart doctor.  A heart condition might be the reason for my fainting spells but why am I getting the severe cramping/spasms?  If there is anyone out there who has had similar occurances please let me know.  I would rather know than not know what is happening to me.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
Hi there. Fainting, dizziness or vertigo could be due to inner ear disturbances, meniere ’s disease, labyrinthitis, hypo and hypertension, cardiac rhythm disturbances, orthostatic hypotension, an MRI brain has been done for brain tumors and aneurysms. Has anemia been ruled out in the blood work up? Anemia due to heavy periods is a common cause of fainting in menstruating females. causes of leg cramps may be dehydration, dyselectrolytemias, medications like diuretics, statins, an injury like overstretched muscles,  shin splints, atherosclerosis of arteries causing claudication pain, deep vein thrombosis, cellulitis, arthritis or gout, nerve damage as in diabetics, smokers and alcoholics, osteomyelitis or corticosteroids use.
Certain steps to be taken are rest, leg elevation, ice application for about 15 minutes for 4 times a day, stretch and massage cramping muscles. over the counter pain medications, leg elevation and elastic bandages for varicose veins, nerve disorders or claudication, control diabetes, eliminate alcohol etc. you need to show yourself to a neurologist  and who would do the needful examination and clinical investigations. Take care.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thank you for the information.  I have an appointment with a pediatric cardiologist next week.  He will be testing for Neurally Medicated Hypotension otherwise known as neurocardigenic Syncope.

Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community

Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease