Neurology Forum

Feels like I'm vibrating!

I have started feeling like my body was "vibrating" - not spasms, or jerking - like there is a vibrator in my body.  Feel it most in the back, but everywhere else too.  Mostly happens when I am sleeping or relaxed - it will wake me up, but has happened once when standing. Does not hurt - just very disconcerting.  What is it?  Who do I go to for it? What words do I use to check the internet?
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.      
     The symptoms that you describe of 'vibrating' is very atypical and does not fit in a neurologic disease that I am aware of.  That being said, some people with numbness or other sensory complaints associated with multiple sclerosis, seizures or even TIAs (transient ischemic attacks) have described such strange sensory phenonenon.  I would suggest that you get an MRI of the brain with contrast to evaluate for a structural lesion (such as MS, stroke, tumor, etc).  I would also suggest an EEG (brain wave test) to evaluate for any possible seizure activity.  If the above test come back normal and you have been evaluated by a neurologist, I would suspect that your symptoms could also be due to stress/anxiety (although this diagnosis is only to be considered after the testing is done).  
I hope this has been helpful.
First of all, I am 28, Male.

I am sorry to hear that this is happening to you, but for me-I am happy to have found you at some level.
    THIS HAS BEEN MY SYMPTOM FOR OVER 2 YEARS NOW AND YOU HAVE FINALLY DESCRIBED IT TO-A-T!
    But yes, you are not alone. Everything you say about it is like I am reading my own thoughts and experiences and I have never found anyone who understands it.
    I have seen about 9 doctors-of varous specialties-and none of them have answers. I have noticed that stressful situations can make it come on. Originally it started with only when I was lying down-this lasted for about 6 mo. It always seemed to be in my back, but then, it finally has become my whole body; but the epicenter, if you will, is the lower back.
    I have had contrast MRI studies of the brain,  c, t and l spine and nothing there indicates something weird, aside from 1 thing.
    I do have typical MS lesions in the brain and in the C-Spine. They think that I have Lyme disease instead of old fashioned M.S.-but who knows.
    I know the hell of this weird symptom, believe me, I do.  
I am 56 Female with multiple medical problems.  This one is relatively new.  After several TIAs in 2002 they found a few areas on the brain - maybe MS maybe the TIAs - not sure.   Father, uncle, great uncle all  had Parkinsons.  I have fibromyalgia, arthritis, and bone spurs in several joints as well as the spine.  So many symptoms can be attributed to various reasons.  Where should I start with this "vibrating" sensation?
HI

I don't mean to piggyback your comments but I can associate with the vibrating feeling except it is located in my head.  I had a recent episode which was like my brain shaking, I can't describe this very well but it was a momemtary shudder in my head and I had to steady myself,  I got an awful full feeling in my face afterwards.  I am awaiting an MRI scan, it could take two months for this. But when I get these feelings, it feels afterwards like the world it slanted and I'm walking up hill on straight ground, anyone else got these sort of episodes? I had neurological tests, and they are normal so even the Docs are scratching their heads and holding out for an MRI scan to show what it is. I have a history of Sarcoidosis on the lung, wondering could there be neuro involvement?

Best regards
Jane
I often wear a pager at work that silently vibrates in my pocket when paged.  I noticed I continued to reach for the pager long after I returned home at night and even weeks between wearing the pager. The sensation genrally occurred at lower abdominal to upper thigh area frontal area.  Always thought it was just a memory association, electromagnentic field or something equally unusual. I stopped the vibration while wearing the pager and put it on beep, but I do continue to have the sensation.  It is truly a bizarre feeling and occurs quite frequently.
I am a 52 year old female with the same disturbing vibrations.  For me, it is head to toe.  I had an MRI w/wo contrast about six months ago and it was normal as was my neuro clinical evaluation.  At this point, I am so sleep deprived that I feel it has worsened the condition.  I wish I could offer insight, but I'm as lost in this maze as you are.  Sleep aids only make my symptoms worse.  I have also noticed that other stimulants (alcohol, caffein, and meds such as benadryl and tylenol p.m) increase the intensity of the "buzzing".  I hope you are quicker finding a diagnosis than I have been.  Best wishes for your continued good health.

P.S.  Do you drink diet soda by any chance?  An alternative dr. scolded me for the number of diet drinks I consume on a daily basis, and warned me of the side effects associated with aspertame (sp?)  Just a thought.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease