Neurology Community

Follow up on MRI of spine, abnormal T2, herniated disks, demyelation

I am inquiring in regards to my dear dad. He has been limping for a year now. He is a construction worker and about 2 years ago fell from one floor to the bottom one. He reassures me that his left leg limping is not due to the fall. He had about 20 sessions of physical therapy. He went to a pain specialist who injected him with steroid injections that did not help. The pain specialist also performed an electro test to see the response reaction in both feet- the right one jumped, and the left one did not and he said he barely felt any sensation in his left leg. My father says his left leg is not responsive, and he cant "carry it around". We went to do an MRI, and went to a neuro-surgeon. The neuro-surgeo says he is not to be operated on, but when reading the MRI results claims that he has to see a neurologist. This is what the MRI results are:

"FNAL REPORT
47 -year- old with radiculopathy

PRIORS: Correlation is made with prior MRI of the thoracic spine of November 21
FINDINGS:
Mild spondvlotic changes are seen within the cervical spine with disc desiccation multiple levels.
C2-C3:There is a shallow central disc herniation impression on the thecal sac
C3-C4:No focal disc herniation or neurocomoressive changes are seen
C4-C5:Shallow central disc herniation impresses on the thecal sac
C5-C6:There is central disc herniation with effacement of the ventral CSF
C6-C7:Shallow central disc herniation impresses on the thecal sac
C7-T1: No focal disc herniation or neurocomoressive changes are seen
Vertebrae: The vertebral bodies demonstrate normal height and marrow signal characteristics
Spinal Cord: There are multiple foci of abnormal T2 signal within the substance of the spinal cord1 at the C2 level and 1 erect C4. It is unclear whether this reflects myelomalacia versus the possibility of a demyelinating process.
Clinical correlation as well as evaluation of the intracranial compartment with MRI of the brain is
recommended
Craniovertebral junction: The craniovertebral junction is unremarkable. Mild prominence of the nasopharyngeal soft tissues is incidentally noted. Please correlate with direct clinical examination
IMPRESSION
MULTIPLE FOCI OF ABNORMAL T2 SIGNAL WITHIN THE SUBSTANCE OF THE SPINAL CORD AS DESCRIBED. THESE MAY BE ON THE BASIS OF MYELOMALACIA HOWEVER GIVEN THE PATIENT’S AGE THE POSSIBILITY OF A DEMYELINATING PROCESS IS NOT EXCLUDED. CLINICAL CORRELATION AS WELL AS EVALUATION OF THE BRAIN WITH MRI SCANNING IS RECOMMENDED.
MILD SPONDYLOTIC CHANGES WITHIN THE CERVICAL SPINE WITH SHALLOW CENTRAL DISC HERNIATIONS AT C2-C3-C4-C5 AND C6-C7 LEVELS.
SLIGHTLY LARGER CENTRAL DISC HERNIATION C5-C6 WITH EFFACEMENT OF THE VENTRAL CSF.
MILD PROMINENCE OF THE NASOPHARYNGEAL SOFT TISSUE."

Please, consider only the results and not the possible diagnosis, as I want an unbiased opinion. My questions are what are the possible causes of these? What are the outcomes in the future? Can anything be done to regenerate neural tissue and myelin? Lastly, how many herniated disks does he actually have?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Mariya Dineva  
Mariya,
What are you searching for the possible causes of? The limping? The leg not responding to the electro test?

Have you considered following the radiologist's suggestion that your father have an MRI of his brain? Based on that recommendation, it makes sense that your father should see a neurologist to order a brain MRI.

It's possible that something in the brain is causing symptoms. If so, if it is treatable, I'm guessing you'd want to seek treatment before it causes too much nerve damage.