A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45k Members
1220346 tn?1266788966

HELP! my mom has lost all memmory

My mother, 56, a teacher of nearly 30 years has in the past 3 years declined in memmory loss to the point of eating all meals with her parents, and confused nearly all the time about what's going on. she can rarely remember a single conversation from one minute to the next. her cognitive skill have declined so far she can no longer function as a woman and is back to being an adolescent child.

I am on here searching for anyone with knowledge about what may be causing this or what the next steps we can take are.  we are finding it impossible to see a doctor because of the medicaid that she is on.  any help is much appreciated, I am also interested in learning more about homeopathic remedies i.e. heavy metal cleanses, body cleanses, parasites...

Thank you,
prescott
1 Responses
You will have to travel to another city, and possibly another state, to get a neurologist to evaluate her with the Medicaid.  There are online websites that will tell you docs (or neuros in your case) that will work with Medicaid in your area (I can't do it right now).  I don't want to speculate on what happened, other than could be a bleed in the brain did this or a growth, but there is sometimes a chance that, with treatment, her memory might come back to some extent.  

You asked about home remedies, and I can tell you that if you would go ahead and pay the cost of one office visit with a local neurologist, he may can prescribe a medication that may slow down the loss of mental acuity, I think Aricept (sp?) is one that is fairly harmless, until you can get hooked up with a Medicaid doc somewhere.  That same office visit neuro may also know what docs nearby might work with Medicaid.  But other than her regular doc making sure her blood pressure is straight and prescribing something for that, and him checking side effects of any of her current meds, I hesitate to suggest homeopathic remedies on account of the seriousness of your mother's symptoms and the unknown origin of them.  See, could be you'll give her some herb tea and it will make her think better but might increase her blood pressure, and if that is THE problem, well, that would get her in more trouble than she already is.
Have an Answer?
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452919248
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483811956
ON
1756321 tn?1547098925
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499305393
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease