Neurology Community
45k Members

HETEROTOPIAS AND CORTICAL DYSPLASIA

Hi All,
I need a second opinion on my 2 months old daughter's MRI reports.As I failed to understand this report, I want to know answers for thousands of questions like if there is any diagonosis, surgery or medicine for cure, will she have severe retardness,is there a chance of tumor or hammorages, will she have seizures, will her head be bigger than her body etc. Actually I received a report from the neurosurgeon which will explain the situation better. So here it goes..........

I(neurosurgeon) saw the baby in the neonatal nursery at Hospital(October 11th)At that time, Baby was known to have in utero ventriculomegaly and an ultrasound that was read by radiology as showing aqueductal stenosis.It appreared more to me to be consistent with corpus callosum agenesis.

The baby has been home, doing well, eating, active, and gaining weight. She returns after 2 months with a soft, sunken fontanel and a head circumference that remains on the 5oth percentile. An MRI scan was done today and unfortunately shows heterotopias that line the ventricle as well as areas of cortical dysplasia. The ventricules are enlarged and there is partial agenesis of the corpus callosum.

Unfortunately, her cerebral abnormalities are diffuse and widespread. There is no need for neurosurgical intervention, but the family may benefit from either neurology or developmental pediatrics. Also, consideration should probably be given to the genetics evaluation. So this is what the neurosurgeon says. I really want some help as I am helpless. Any help will be greatly appreciated PLEASE.