Neurology Forum

Haldol effects

I have a question about the drug Haldol. My 77 year old mother had a mild stroke that left her left side affected. While in the CCU unit in the hospital, she became restlest, 5mg injections where issued on 3 seperate occasions within 36 hours . the last after she was moved into a private room out of CCU. 10 hours after the last injection she fell into a deep sleep (Coma Like) state. CT scans done after this found this was not caused from another stroke. her Neurologist stated that this appeared to be a chemical induced sleep, not caused from a stroke. Was this a proper drug and dosage for a 77 year old female that weighed 102 lbs.?? She was improving from the stroke before she went into this comatose state. She never awakened from it, She passed away a week later from other Breathing complications , not from another stroke.
The dose of Haldol used varies depending on the clinical situation, past medical history, and other medications the patient is taking. A dose of 5mg is a common dose prescribed for agitation, and is the typical IV anti-psychotic used to treat ICU psychosis. Therefore, I cannot answer your question completely, becuase the choose of medication and dose depends on the clinical situation at the time. I hope this helps.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease