Neurology Community
45k Members

Headaches from Carotid Artery Dissection

I have a pseudoaneurysm secondary to a dissection in the left carotid artery.  It has lasted about 4 months now, and according to my neurologist it should last right around 3 to 6 months.  I am hoping that he is right. I am on aspirin, two low blood pressure medicines, and lyrica ( an anti convulsant for the pain), and Norco as needed.  My neurologist believes that it was probably caused by chiropractic manipulation.

Prior to the start of my headaches, I started to get alot of "brain zaps" and dizziness during workouts.  (The brain zaps were very similar to ones that often occur on SSRI's).  The dizziness was basically a "head rush", the blood would drain from my face, and I'd get very dizzy with that "black out feeling" that you can get from standing up too fast. The workouts referred to were generally some type of resistance-training, whether that be weightlifting, use of the body, (i.e pushups and similar exercises, etc.)  These started after the first of a series of chiropractic manipulations.

Here's my questions:
     1.  could the brain zaps/dizziness be the first signs that a dissection occurred?
      2. What risks are associated with the pseudoaneurysm itself? Can something bad happen, i.e, stroke risk? I've quite understood this aspect of the diagnosis.
     3.  In addition to aspirin or other blood thinners, what else can I do to help this thing cure? I am at my wits end.

Thanks so very much.

JoeRunner

This discussion is related to Carotid dissection and stroke.