Neurology Community

How long does an inner-ear viral infection last?

Three weeks ago my husband got hit with a sudden hearing loss in the right ear and an incapacitating case of Vertigo that induced a lot of vomiting. I took him to the ER when it first happened, he had a battery of blood tests (which were all normal) and two CT exams (that came out clean). He had a lyme disease test that came out negative,and also had an audiogram that showed severe hearing loss and although the hearing loss improved a tiny bit after finishing the prescribed predinosone, he is now super sensitive to light and especially sound, so he can't drive or leave the house. The doctor seems to think the cause is viral in nature but ordered an MRI to exclude a mass or tumor (will have this done next week). Meanwhile we wait and have noticed no improvement in his condition.
I'm really worried about him and wonder how long he might be suffering from this. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? How long did it last and how was it treated?