Aa
A
A
A
Close
Neurology Community
45.3k Members

How long does an inner-ear viral infection last?

Three weeks ago my husband got hit with a sudden hearing loss in the right ear and an incapacitating case of Vertigo that induced a lot of vomiting. I took him to the ER when it first happened, he had a battery of blood tests (which were all normal) and two CT exams (that came out clean). He had a lyme disease test that came out negative,and also had an audiogram that showed severe hearing loss and although the hearing loss improved a tiny bit after finishing the prescribed predinosone, he is now super sensitive to light and especially sound, so he can't drive or leave the house. The doctor seems to think the cause is viral in nature but ordered an MRI to exclude a mass or tumor (will have this done next week). Meanwhile we wait and have noticed no improvement in his condition.
I'm really worried about him and wonder how long he might be suffering from this. Has anyone experienced anything like this before? How long did it last and how was it treated?
0 Responses
Top Neurology Answerers
620923 tn?1452915648
Allentown, PA
5265383 tn?1483808356
ON
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
1780921 tn?1499301793
Queen Creek, AZ
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease