Neurology Community
45k Members

Hydrophaelus Doctors

I can not shake this feeling that keeps rattling in my mind.  Could it be at all possible that my hydrophaelus is being caused by the slipped discs in my spine.  The pressure is 25. I can as my brother has said just like him we could actually slip the discs back into place often an on whilst doing the exercises.  However , since my hydrophaelus  is being agrivated when I lay flat I can not do these exercises the neurologists have given me to do to strengthen my abs. So it is all a lost cause. Hmmm is there any other way?  When walking down the street , if I walked too fast and I used to be able to walk the mile in 8 minutes, Now lucky if I get there in 25 minutes. If I walk too quickly my water pressure rises in my head.  When I stop walking I need to grab something quick so as not to fall forward.  This is because I have stopped walking but the water seems to swish forwards, thus knocking me out of balance. It is very scary.  When sleeping at night must get the proper elevation for my head otherwise I feel myself slpping away.  Which is also very scary.  However , I am too difficult to operate on. The doctors do not do an lumbal puncture fearing the risks of an infection.
So far the only things that seem to have helped is the homeopathic  medicine . These medicines help me go to the toilet . I can actually pee more which is simply amazing.  
I had seen these shoes on Tv, with the rounded soles.  They are amazing, at first , I found myself losing my balance and falling backwards. Once my brain got  used to them,  the shoes actually improved my backpain. I am standing up more straightly.  However , they said that i would lose weight just by walking in them , I would also feel my calves. None of that has happened. Probably because I do not walk fast enough. However I do walk long enough.
Anyway I am all to happy just not to have that irritating pain in the lower back.

Good luck with your studies.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

Its unlikely that the slipped discs could be blocking the spinal canal completely to account for the raised CSF pressure. Either the arachnoid plexus are producing more CSF or there is a blockage to the flow of CSF. The dizziness could be cerebellar related. Other symptoms symptoms related to cerebellum are difficulty walking, tremors, difficulty with fine tasks and an inability to talk.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Wishing you a Very Happy Healthy New Year in 2013. May all your wishes come true.

Itis not a dizzyness rather a passing out completely.  The Neurologists didn't take me seriously the time I had visited them way back when. I am just not so up to going to see them ever again. They are way too arrogant for my tastes.
When I go to a Doctor then it is because there is something seriously wrong. I do not waste my time or others.
I seriously think that the two together are causing the problem. The hopeless pain in my right hip when I walk is caused by the pinching of the nerve. I know that for certain from a very early age.
However there is a pressure in my right shin , and at night my leg goes numb and goes to sleep hence giving me a tingling . I am forced to get up out of bed go to the toilet to have a wee, and walk around so that I can go to sleep. I do not feel the pressure on my bladder as much anymore. Still have a hard time when the pressure builds up and go to the toilet that the urine will not come out. Its so exasperating. Once it does come out, it is in little bits at a time. Only when I push it out as if giving birth , then it comes in a gush. Hence giving me pressure to the brain because of the pressure added when pushing.
It is so weird. You 'd think that when you sit down and you feel the pressure that it would automatically open just as it did all the time.
The nicest thing is, that today I have very little pain in my head. Now don't take this the wrong way, because I am in no way an alcoholic, I drink a glass of Vodka and 7 up every once in a whie. Bluemoon. Birthdays , Anniversary. but never any other times. The occasional glass of wine.  Last Night I stayed up to 1:00 am could not handle any later.
The Hydrophaelus takes all the energy I have just to do the normal everyday tasks.
Anyways my head is numb...which means no headaches, I only have one glass of Vodca.

Thank you for answering. Good Luck
Threewheelmobile
I  found also that when my boules are not moving properly that they give me a pain in my right hip as well.
A while back I had  a build up of fluids on my left side of the brain. Got that taken care of by other means. As the doctors do not take what I say seriously and think I am there just to jank their chain. I decided not to visit them anymore. It makes me more ill pyschologically.  If you understand this.

Even went to a Pschocologist and man are they behind the times.  Really got to get away from the brown sugar about everything coming from the youth.  Get over it and move on.  The only problem in my youth is that no one heard me and they still are not listening.

I am only  telling you this because heaven forbid there may be someone out there in the medical world who will actually listens to me.
I know I am an extreme case. I do not put up with bad treatment or  second guessing.
I know that the two are connected and the problem lies there.   Whilst sitting behind the pc , because I have such short legs my husband had made a footrest. That helped a lot but the last while my toes are beginning to fall asleep more often.
I go for walks, I walk a 1.6 km or 1 mile back and forth. I have to sit down when I get home to rest, before I put away my groceries. Tried to do it right away one day, however, my legs gave way when I stepped down into the porch . You wouldn't beleive how happy I was. This time I actually fell on my hands and knees. Not  falling face first. I usually fell head first. Meaning I had no control over my body at all. That I attibuted to the Hydrophaelus. Yet there is a gnawing in my head, that tell me the two are connected.

I can not do abdominal exercises because the water in my head sacks to the back of my head.  If I  lye flat on my back I feel like I am going to go into a coma.  I have a feeling as if I am falling into a depth. Weird feeling., don't like that one bit. I hate this pain in my rightshin and the tinteling in my right leg up to the knee.

Hi.,..I am so sorry u r not getting answers to ur hydro issue....have u had the tilt table testing?...Ask about POTS as it is positional, and u did mention laying down u feel worse....

As for disks affecting CSF flow, it can if the area of the bulging disk u also have stinosis....which is something I have and my NS told me it could cause drop attacks which is the result of a stoppage of CSF flow.

What u describe sounds like a drop attack, u go out for a few seconds, but come back enuff to be aware  u r falling, but can not react or respond....scary I know, and u can really get hurt, one such fall left me needing 2 surgeries for injuries incurred.

Do u have a copy if ur MRI? and the report?...as the Dr mentioned something cerebral can cause a CSF obstruction, so look at the report for low lying  tonsils.....

I have Chiari and am very familiar with how u feel....and I also know how frustrating it is to get answers....

Hang in there <3
Thank you very much for your support and suggestions.
Oh the only thing that is so irritating is that the neurologists are so arrogant. More the men than women. I can not for the life of me think why people would stop, listen and learn from their patients before they form an opinion.
I have had it up to here with STUPIDity or Ingnorance from the health carers.
Come on already stop being a pain in the butt, if you don't know something it is Okay.  PLease stop thinking that we patients do not know what is happening or unaware , After all it is my body, I klnd of know it like  a road map.

Selma you said something about tonsils. I snore awfully bad, so badly that my hubby sleeps in the spare room. In the hospital they put me in a room with only one other patient. The poor old lady I pitied her so. It is better to keep only one patient awake instead of 6, but the old lady had parkinsons and could hardly get any sleep because of the violent shaking body, poor thing.

I was thinking , would my loud snoring cause me to have a head ache in the morning because  with snoring one doesn't breathe properly at all.
I have flem in the morning. I used to have slight asthma attacks...peeping.
Found out by eating raw salted harring , It stops that. It is not the salt but the combination of the two, the raw salted harring.
For my arthritis which no one has tested me for yet. I eat smoked salmon. The salmon oils help with the stiffness.
NO i don't get to see any of the scans or reports. They just tell me about their findings. Until I went for a second opinion . There the specialists were like an open book so refreshing.
IThe thing is Selma I know the answers but there is no solitions.

Oh and Ty Selma I 'm hanging beleive me.

Thanks XX 3

The tonsils I mentioned are cerebral tonsils...but many with CM can also have sleep apnea and I snore something awful too....many times my DH goes into the spare room...lol...so I know what u mean....

U do not wake ur self  with the snoring or gasping for air? That would be sleep apnea...and u should be checked with the snoring ne way..

Ask if ur cerebral tonsils sit lower then where they should be, and ask about a CSF flow  study  referred to as a CINE MRI.

It can show if there is another reason for ur hydro.

Good Luck <3
Thanks for getting back to me with that! O and it is not worth asking for the doctors reports, I had done that once from my   former Gp when he gave me a referral to finally get tested for my Hydrophaelus which at the time I didn't know I had for sure. He wrote everything in latin so I didn't understand a word that had been written. I fired him and looked for an older doctor whom did go to battle for me more than once against the Neurologists in the AMC. Especially when I had gotten a referal from my Neurosurgeon that he was the best.
Now I hope I got your eyebrows raised. Doesn't this seem odd, I was visiting my Neurosurgeon to get an assesment on my Hydrophaelus, which I had all the scans done. Even a full body scan. They did not find anything wrong with my back.
For further investigation on my back he reffered me back to a Neurogist in the AMC to get an accessment if I had slipped discs!
Only the Neurologists can give an referral to operate on the spine. However , When I had visited the Neurologist in question, whom was suppose to be the best in the AMC, he had met me in the waiting room and started yelling at me, I was apparently too late for my appointment, according to him.
Now , My hubby took a day off to travel by motorcycle to get to the hospital on time. We could weave in and out of traffic. It was an absurd early appointment when everyone knows coming from this side of Holland , the traffic is horrific. We managed to get there on time.
The Neurologists in question was shouting at me in the waiting room. Mrs. Threewheelmobile. Your late. In the Neurology department we work on time.
There was someone  who cancelled so he had to wait for me. We were in fact 20 minutes early.
He hadn't read the report. He asked questions that were in the report for him to read and make himself aquainted with case.  He had all the time in the world if we were so late as he had said we were.
He didn't ask any questions he rushed me threw all the tests , which by the way had already been done by the Neurology department. I went along with the stupidity.
Three weeks later we went back for the folow up.
He said nothing came from the tests. Now that is funny I said, They had done a nerve test on my right leg.  The Neruologist in question was not present when these tests were done. I had someone else helping me.  He was so excited with this new development of tests he asked me if I wouldn 't mind having a two of his colleges have a look. I figured the doctors are here to learn , so I agreed.
Now having said that; When I went back to get the answers, I had asked my Neuogist in the AMC whom was proclaimed by my Neurosurgeon to be one of the best ! I asked , what were the findings of the Neurologists when they had done that nerve test on my right leg, what was so interesting ?
He replied; Oh  that," It was nothing!"
Now my question, If it was nothing why did three of the Neurologist think it was so interesting?
Now people out there , Do you have any doubt as to why people slug or beat up their physcians? I began shouting at him, and my husband began to warn him. We made such a racket that the Neurologist at the time said; I do not have to stand for this. I'm getting the proffesseur. I said go, go and get the proffeseur ! My hubby said; run and get him, He could use a lesson too! Where I had had enough crap to last me a life time. Me and my Hydopahelus could  not take any more this worthless brown sugar. I told my hubby, get me out of here before I hit someone. NOw picture this a short canadian  full of fire, I get that from my Dad.  I would have hit him even if I had to climb on a chair to do so.
I didn't go back to the Amc for years I think it was 8 or more.
I think its been around that long now as well. Them and their stupid scans, not using their minds which god intented them to use.
Things are so simple so why in the heck do the doctors  play these darn stuipid games. I really hate having to visit physcologists who think all my anger comes from my childhood....Who in the heck do they think they are kidding.
Its time for all the Neurology departments to wake up and smell the Canadian coffee for a change and not stick that black guck they are drinking.  It is corroding their brains.

We are already ill and shouldn't have to become so ill mentally because of their misguided  thoughts that just because they have studied for 11 years that they know it all.
That was by the way what the Neurologist told me. I have studied for 11 years and you are going to tell me that you know better. YES! was my answer, who in the heck has been living in this body ? Me or you?
I told my Gp this at the time, he referred me back to the AMC and told the Neurogist to give me his appologies and do a proper assesment.  To which , He refused;   Got a sort of an appology , If you call it, Sand over and a hand shake an appology?
I shook on it but man I still want to hit him ,like in the cartoons where his head turns three times round and perhaps when it come back to the right place that he get the brains back which made him a doctor in the first place.
Now who had the athority to do the proper testing on a back injury so as I have? I know it is ,an  Neurosurgeon. So why in Gods name am I still playing patty cake with the Neuologists????
Who can not even afford a watch to see what time it is?

IIt time to wake up ladies and gentlemen and stop making our health care  costs go threw the roof , with the shody work they call doctoring.