Neurology Community
45k Members

Hypersensitive Skin

Hi. I suffer quite often but not all the time, from hypersensitive skin. It feels as though it's been scalded and it hurts to touch that area. It may be on my face, top of my thigh, waist, calf; seems it strikes one side of my body at one time in different spots. It affected my calf this week, and I could barely walk on that leg. I have had neuro check ups with no results or findings that support any disease in particular. I've suffered from this for about 10 years and it's getting worse. I am very frustrated because I don't know what to do to help myself at this point. Does anyone else suffer from this and have you been diagnosed with anything or have you found a med or supplement that helps? I do suffer from hypothyroidism and an occasional migraine. I take Synthroid .75mcg. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

How are you?
Burning skin is very often a symptom of anxiety. Other causes can be thyroid dysfunction and fibromyalgia.
Please make sure your thyroid levels are within normal limits. Peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes or B12 deficiency can also cause burning symptoms.

i developed this a few weeks ago.  Patches of skin are becoming hypersensive on an almost daily basis.  It started with one on my back and I now have about fifteen, including some on my arms, legs and even a little one on one knuckle.  Very odd.  (I don't suffer from anything)

I'm off to the doctor tomorrow.  I think it may be stress related, but other than that I can't think of any medical explanation for it.  
I found that this symptom is sometimes referred to as cutaneous allodynia which means other skin pain.  It is often accompanies with migraines, although mine is not.  I think mine comes with my fibromyalgia.  For me both are made worse when eat sugar or simple carbs.  I just started Topamax which is often used for migraines to see if it will releive this skin pain, 2 days on it, and it seems to help already.

Other things I have tried that work:  neurontin and lyrica
I have experienced some of these symptoms in extream hot or cold heat where it leaves patches of rashes on my legs one on my calf, and one on my inner thigh. Then I started having hyper sensitive skin along with dizzy spells for a few weeks on and off. Yesterday I was on a walk with my girlfriend and all of a sudden I entered that dreamy dizzy feeling, and all of my skin on every part of my body felt hypersensitive. If I sit perfectly still in my bed it doesn't happen, but if I move a muscle, I can basically feel the thread count in my sheets. I went to the doctor today for them to take blood and say maybe I had a blood sugar imbalance... I don't know what to do! But the dogs can't even brush my leg without it hurting. Has anyone felt this before?
If all else checks out,  ask about Zonegran or Neurontin.

I am currently on Zonegran with much success, although I don't have the dizzy spells.

Sounds like it could be migraines.
i turned out to have watenberg's migratory sensory neurosis - completely cleared up now.

Earwigs100
earwigs, can you comment on the treatment you received for this or the diagnostics your doctor did?  Did you see a neuro or pysch for this treatment?  Thanks.
I also suffer from this, have been for over 5 years.  It used to just be once a year or so, this time it has been 2 times in less than a week. It affects my scalp, neck, back, top of thighs, face, and upper arms. It feels like a bad sunburn and I cannot stand anything to be touching me.  None of my doctors seem to know what it is.  I am on Lyrica for trigimenal neuralgia so that should take care of the symptoms if it were fibromyalgia.  Im also on Klonopin for trigeminal neuralgia so if it were anxiety, the Klonopin should be taking care of the hypersensitive skin.  As of the moment, I have an elevated white count, have been sick for 2 weeks, have moments of full on tremors where I cannot control my hands, arms or legs.  No one knows what this is either.  So if anyone knows of a good doctor in Arkansas who might can help me, can you please let me know?  I've seen 7 doctors in the last 2 weeks and no one knows what is wrong with me, they just know I have an infection somewhere but cannot pin point it.  Did I mention I am only 27?
It has been my experience that having an infection, even a cold will aggrevate the skin pain.  Focus on finding and fixing why your white cell count is high, I suspect that the skin pain might reduce after this is taken care of.  Try looking on Yelp or other internet review sites to find a good doctor.  I might try an endocrinologist or rheumatologist.  I would also recommend trying an elimination diet, start by taking out gluten, milk and cheese, and see it that doesn't help.  If you are hard core, try eating mostly raw or steamed green veges for about 2 weeks, and eliminating sugar, high carbs, caffinene and alcohol and anything fermented.  For some reason people like us that are hyper sensitive to everthing, this diet helps get us back on track.

God Bless
I FX'ed my patella and ruptured the ligaments 2 months ago  s/p MVA and it required anchors and wire to put it all together again.  Bone is healing wonderfully,  just starting phys. ther. program for range of motion and doing well.  I am experiencing super, hyper, sensitive skin all around my knee.  My husband just blew on it and I came unglued from the pain.  At my check up today,  the PA-C told me why this is going on and the name of the condition,  but I forgot the name.  Does anyone know the medical term?  It's just the nerve endings trying to reconnect.  HOWEVER,  if I don't get to desensitizing it fast,  it could become permanent.
To netnet979,  I believe the name is cutaneous allodynia.
I have been plagued by unilateral areas of hypersensitive skin for over 21 years now (I'm 46).  At first I thought it was ear infections as the pain often started deep inside one of my ears.  After nothing showed up on physical exam I was sent to a neurologist for CT scans and he told me that I probably had trigeminal neuralgia with glossopharyngeal neuralgia as well.  When I research those diagnoses, they don't fit my pain type.  The pain is often on one side of my head or the other, it spreads over the course of hours and days, involves my scalp to a level that I cannot touch or brush my hair, as every hair follicle hurts.  My eye will hurt to move and sometimes I can feel my food scraping one side of my throat on its way down.  Occasionally these pain patches will happen on areas of my torso, legs or arms.  Darvocet used to work for me with pain control but now it does not help at all.  I've also found that often these attacks are triggered by dental work or cleaning.  Often they are preceded or in conjunction with a fever blister in my nose or on my lip.  When I research post-herpetic neuralgia, my symptoms and pain type don't really fit that either.  I would love to know how to resolve this or at least know what to take when I feel it coming on, and to know what it is and what is causing it.