This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Avatar universal


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Neurology Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF Neuro MD on July 12, 1997 at 13:34:47:

In Reply to: INVOLUNTARY MOVEMENTS/SPASTICITY posted by Wayne Crouse on July 04, 1997 at 00:18:28:
  I have suffered from left-sided spasticity (contracted muscles) since a mild stroke in January. The condition has not improved and in fact has gotten worse. Lately, I've experienced a new phenomena - involuntary movements or jerking in the arm, leg, foot and neck. Since this is a new development, I am wondering: Could this be a good sign or does it mean that my condition is worsening.
Hello, Wyane,
  Depending on the location of the stroke inside the brain, the symptoms can vary significantly.  The left-sided spasticity usually would have come from a stroke on the righ-sided brain.  Clinically, spasticity is a common post-stroke finding.  The involuntary movements or jerking, which I assume is on the left side, can be another sequala of the stroke.  Another thing is that you need to make sure these movements are not seisures, which can be a rather common finding if the stroke involved cortex, the surface layers of the brain.  Depending on the cause of the movements, this may or may not represent progression of your old stroke.  What is much more important is to find out why you have new symptoms now and whether they are representing any new problems.  The best way to address this question is to have a full evaluation, which should include an electrial brain wave testing called EEG, and a stroke work-up looking for the causes of your stroke if this has not been done.  This can be done at your neurologist's office or if you prefer, you can come to our department.  To make your appointment, please call (800) 223-2273 asking for ext.45559, or (216) 444-5559.  
  This information is provided for general medical education purposes only.  Please consult your primary physician for the diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical condition.

Discussion is closed
0 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Request an Appointment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now