Indentation in top of head

I was really hoping for a suggestion as to why I may have developed an indentation in the top of my head. At first I thought I was crazy, and that it was impossible for that to happen, but over the last few months it seems to have grown and now anyone who feels the top of my head can easily feel it. It scares me, especially since my husband had brain surgery less than 2 years ago- (symptoms completely different of course) I am 35 years old, the only time I remember hitting my head really hard is when I was in elementary school and I fell and hit my head on a tile floor. I have had a history of passing out and having seizures but the doctors never figured out for sure what caused it and it hasn't happened for a few years. The best they came up with was blood sugar, and dehydration as a cause for those episodes, although I never had a MRI or anything of my head. I don't get pains from it, it may be a little tender if I press on the indent kind of hard. Is there any condition that would cause my skull to cave in? please help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Wow thank you everyone...I have been worried about the dents in my skull too! After reading everyone's comments I put my glasses on my head...where I wear them 75% of the time and lo and behold !!! the nose pieces fit exactly into the dents in my head. Thank you for bringing that possibility to my attention. Saved me from wasting my time at the Dr.'s and from having expensive and dangerous testing done.
Helpful - 1
I also have a soft indention on top back of head about 1 inch across I also get occasional headaches. and when I bend over my face feels like pressure is building up had it for about 3 years any ideas?
Helpful - 1
I have the same exact thing! Have you gotten any answers?
Hey Lynn, I,myself have a huge dent at the back of my head ever since I was a few months old, my mom told my cousin to babysit me while she cook and my cousin put me  on a sitting position on a very high table and I fell and hit my head very hard on the concrete and I wouldn't stop crying, my head was swollen and I guess that's how I got the dent . I am now 28 years old and I am fine I would usually have migraine headache on a regular basis but now it seems fine. All I can advise you to do is eat healthy ,don't take stress and pray to ALMIGHTY God and everything will be fine ok take care all the best
Helpful - 1
Hi I have indentations in my skull. English is not my first lenguaje, so I hope I can write properly the things I want to say. I am 36. I noticed them a few days ago. I was terrified, I thought my head was opening haha! So I asked to my father who is a surgeon . He told me that he has indentations too. And so his mother. It's weird. And they never felt nothing, no migrain, nothing. He doesn't know about the name of this condition , but it's real and it's not dangerous.
Helpful - 1
Wow, this forum is so interesting to me! I was training a client and felt an itch on my head not thinking of it, then felt a long narrow indent as if the cracks in my skull were divided and swollen. After feeling it, it started burning.. so naturally I looked it up to validate my crazy and found this. The vit d / calcium deficiency sounds interesting. Im going to add to this forum and say Im supposed to start my menstrual cycle today/tomorrow and that Im 31. Most have posted and said theyve been in their 30s or on a special diet. Missing nutrients may go hand in hand! Ill add some d and calcium and see if it helps, otherwise Ill go to the doc. Ill save this forum and home you have found some answers Lynn!
Helpful - 1
Did more vitamin d help?
Omg this is exactly what I have been experiencing n thought I was going crazy. I have noticed it two time periods the first I thought my boyfriend had just elbowed me in his sleep. This time I feel the indent. I have been eating low carb and high protein n do have autoimmune stuff so vitamin deficiency makes sense too. I am also having a lot of neurological symptoms too (brain fog, balance, fatigue). This is so scary.  
Helpful - 1
I’m having exactly what you are  experiencing have you had any tests done ?
Hi Lmac42,
I would like to know how you are feeling now. Is the dent still there? What prescription did you had that helped you? Would like to know. Thanks.
Helpful - 1
I just found the ridge last night.  I also wear glasses on my head. I have worn them like this for years.  Yikes! I have been having people feel it all day. Hard to believe that glasses cause this!
Helpful - 1
I know you wrote your post awhile ago but just wanted to pipe in and say great idea....I would be happy to set up a facebook page if anyone else is interested. We could post descriptions and what we have tried to help the situation. Because I have no medical experience I wouldn't really know where to start. Although in saying that I am studying psychology so am learning to read and interpret research reports. Ill check in again soon to see if there is any interest in this.
Helpful - 1
I would join, let me know!
I just noticed I had this same issue tonight on my way home from work. I've never noticed it before in my 40 years. I've been suffering from severe tiredness and forgetfulness recently.. As well as making irrational decisions which isn't like me. I do wear my sunglasses on top of my head daily. They are almost part of my wardrobe. I'll give the suggestion to stop wearing them on top a try and plan to mention this to my physician. Very odd. Hopefully it's not medication related. I take thyroid meds and suboxone daily. Anyone else taking these meds?
Helpful - 1
I had two large dents on the top of my head and it really freaked me out.  I, like others, noticed that it was close to where I wore my glasses on the top of my head.  I stopped doing that and they are going away.  After having them for at least a year, in a week and a half of not wearing glasses on the top of my head, they are almost gone.  I would suggest that everyone with dents should think twice about wearing their glasses on their head or headphones.  

Hope this helps someone.
Helpful - 1
I just noticed this a few days ago, and they indeed are where my reading glasses, which I always wear, rest... I also take suboxone as of this year and find myself very scatter-brained over the last year, and occasional blurry vision, which is why the reading glasses are a constant wardrobe accessory!
I'm going to stop putting my glasses on my head, increase my water intake, which is 0 right now, and start taking calcium again, as I was deficient on my last check, and see what happens.
I WILL come back and let ya'll know if things improve! God bless ♥
I am so happy to have happened upon this thread purely by accident.  I have had these dents for several years now and originally noticed them because of deep dark reddish purple lines in my scalp and upon feeling these discolorations found the dents.  They move around and can appear and disappear rather rapidly sometimes with the discoloration; more often not.  Dr.s have told me that they don't exist even though I have shown them pictures of them.  I had my sister take a picture of it and her response was, What is that."  It was gone the next morning.  I asked her to take a picture of it and she said, "There is nothing there."  I told her that that was the point.  I have a suggestion, perhaps we could form a group, discovery group as it were, (since now I know I am not the only one,) and we could start formulating our own research since we are the ones who know best and maybe we could start to throw all our perceived possibilities into a common pot and perhaps discover something or interest a researcher into looking into it.  I know mine exist and I trust that yours exist and I am tired of the medical profession blaming the victim for what they can't explain.
Helpful - 1
Hi Rantan, thank you so much for sharing your experience and advice. May I ask what natural therapies you tried? I'm guessing you meant things such as herbal tinctures?

TO EVERYONE & ANYONE,

I've been following this thread for awhile, today I joined medhelp so I could add my experience with the same exact thing...

I found my indent over a year ago. I had a CT scan, they did find a small "irregularity" in my skull exactly where my indent is. Oh and by the way, I don't just have an indent, to the right of it, my skull or whatever is happening there is higher like miniature speed hump.

If I press on it, even lightly, it doesn't cause pain but it does start sensations that do not feel right.

I saw a neurologist, he gave me the all clear thank goodness.

I asked, so what about the finding with my skull? At first he pretended to know what I was talking about so I sat there for a moment as he pretended to find the report he claimed to have read.

Eventually... I passed him my copy of the report. As he read it, I could tell that was his first time reading it, aye... When he got to the finding in my skull he let out a loud "OHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!"

He only read the CT scan, not the written report by the radiologist. Thankfully, he admitted that the skull is right out of his expertise so he couldn't help me there.

He did a full 360 in his attitude when he realized I have anxiety. My neurologist wasn't professional or compassionate. I almost walked out when he made the nasty switch, thankfully I didn't as that was before we cleared the fact that he hadn't gone over the report. I would of assumed he read that and it was all ok.

Please prepare yourself for this kind of treatment, whether or not you have anxiety. We're investigating an indent in our skull. Whether it's bone or something else, lets face it, it does sound weird and the common response will be, that you've lost your marbles. Or, who knows the outline of their skull, how are you so sure it's changed and all sorts of other rather ignorant things. Be strong guys and know you've got my full sympathy and understanding.

The second I stumbled across my indent, I jump out of my seat due to sheer shock. I went over it two more times, hoping it wasn't so. Then I asked my husband to feel the indent and his eyes went huge, it isn't just a slight change in my skull, it is a bold change. I understand it could be various things, maybe even something new that no one has begun any research in. But upon discovering it whoa! What a shock.

But oh is it rough to see professionals or even loved ones not take you seriously. So over a year on, I'm still trying to find my way. As doctors aren't listening to me so I have to keep changing doctors. Finally one is listening to me even though she doesn't know what's happening, it's a start.

I've had 2 different loads of blood tests done, all good. In fact, I'm quite healthy. So it's even more confusing. I don't have anxiety constantly, I go through phases of it.

So please don't think a neurologist is all you need. Even if they find something, your health in some way was failing, and that's the core root we need to discover, understand and heal.

I tried letting it go. Nice dream... Since discovering my indent, the following has also sprung up...

1. My long and short term memory are bad and on occasion they get worse, a few times I've experienced complete blanks, those moments are scary. Thankfully they're rare.

2. My ears still randomly hurt and make the loudest piercing sounds. Yet there's never an infection.

3. My orthostatic hypotension is constant, although my intense vertigo did go away.

4. My hands tremble sometimes. Occasionally my forefinger trembles on it's own.

5. My postures can feel awkward, sort of robotic I guess, don't know if I also look awkward. If I do, no one is mentioning anything. I wish they would... If it is so.

6. Sometimes I can't find the words I want to say or type. I say the wrong word but it's sort of similar to what I did mean to say so you still understand me even though it's incorrect. Sometimes I say something that is a mixture of actual words or worse, what I say is total nonsense.

7. I can be slow in my thinking, this is the worst part. I'm not my normal sharp self. Something I can't quite explain, dropped. Again, it's really hard to explain. What I can say is I definitely don't feel like myself. I keep waiting to snap out of it, it's not happening.

8. My ability to explain things can be terrible. Sometimes for a simple question. I have to fight just to access some part of the answer. So strange and frustrating.

9. I'm considering this also might be related to my teeth, I did have my first root canal 2 years ago and that's my earliest memory of my head throbbing as if a heart were in there.

As you can imagine, I have been keeping a much healthier lifestyle, not that I was terrible before. It helped with the headaches but I still feel many other things such as...

- Strange, random head pains (they're not headaches) that happen in various spots. The temples, few places at the back near the top, on the sides, usually one spot gets hit at a time then there be a gap and it will hit one of the other regular spots. I think... Also I feel fluid or something move around slowly but surely.

- My eyesight started getting blurry I swear it was sudden, so now I have glasses. That I need to wear often, without them I feel blind even though my lens prescription is the second lowest number. What on Earth is going on.

- The skin on my face went from great to poor.

- Often I feel a strange pull sensation on the back of my head, not where my indent is.

- If I move my hair a certain way, there's another pain that is not a headache nor like the pain I described earlier. It's in a league of it's own.

Ok... That's about it for now.

Oh I saw a chiropractor he did his magical work on me and did cause my orthostatic hypotension to totally disappear for a few days, something I thought I'd never be free of even for a second. So there's a huge pressure relief guys, so maybe check out a chiropractor if the pressure builds too high whilst you sort this out. He thinks I've hurt a ligament around my head. From everything I've heard this feels the closet to what could be apart of what is going on. Only going by my instinct that is.

I will be reporting back here when I learn more.

Good luck everyone.
Helpful - 1
Biotoxin Illness, Mold Illness
I'm a twenty five years old and I've noticed I have a dent in the top of my head for several or so years. I was never sure how I got it but I've never had any tenderness there or illness causing me to investigate it further. Well it's always best to seek answers when it comes to your head but still. Recently Ive been getting headaches, especially when laying down. The headaches has been constant and goes the front of my head. Any suggestions other than my soon appointment to a DR???
Helpful - 0
If you type in adult soft spot on google you will get a different Med Help Group over the same thing, I'm 17, and i'm a worry person and i have 1 on the top back part of my head, I worry cause it is really noticeable and i don't think that it is normal, sometimes it feels strong and sometimes it doesn't i went and got a X-Ray at the hospital and they said everything was fine, it kinda relieved me, but i'm still worrying that maybe if i get in a fight and get hit directly in that spot that maybe it will kill me, and i worry about that alot. It like 3in long, 2.5in wide and 0.5 in deep it really scares me, so if anyone finds out anything else please let me know. THANK YOU

Google Search- Adult Soft Spot
Helpful - 0
I was also wondering that if you push on your skull long enough in the same spot really hard, can it sink down and make a hole to ur brain, or can it start to sink down and become really weak. Everyday all day I push on my dent, hard and sometimes it feels strong and then sometimes it feels like the bone get weaker. I push on it once and it feels kinda strong and then if i push a few more times it starts feeling like there isn't anything there and that my finger just keeps sinking down. Then I will take my hand and rub all 4 fingers and push on the one side of my head really hard and then squeeze the meat together so it feels like it isn't there. I do it so much that it rubs the meat on my head raw. I push really hard and it is starting to feel like it is sinking down where i push my 4 fingers, but the scary part is, I got a X-Ray done and the doc said everything was good, but i can't stop and thats what scares me. The Doc Said that the skull can't sink or weaken from pushing on it, but hes not that good of a doctor. So if anyone knows if you push on your skull and if you could end up pushing a hole through it, or weaking it up and it sinking down. PLEASE Write Back. Thank You
Helpful - 0
I am 29 & noticed a bald spot on my head about 2 weeks ago. Along with the bald spot is an indentation. Did any of you have a bald spot? Well I went to my dermatologist & he took a piece of skin & has sent it off to find out what is going on. We'll find out next week what is going on.
Helpful - 0
What ever happened to your spot? I noticed that I had a bald spot and for awhile it hurt and I noticed it was indented. Years ago I had hit my head hard enough to make my vision get all weird later on (like flashing lights in part of my eyes), but I never had a dent, plus I don't think that's where I hit. Did you find out what caused yours?
I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR WHAT HAPPENED WITH YOUR DERM APPT. I AM SUFFERING WITH THE SAME ISSUE! DENT..PAIN..HAIR LOSS...IT WAS ALL OF A SUDDEN YET MY BIOPSY CAME BACK AS SCARRING ALOPECIA BUT UT DOES NOT EXPLAIN THE INDENTATION AND PAIN...I HAVE BEEN TO THREE DRS. I AM VERY HEALTHY AND NO TRAUMA AND NO CANCER...I AM LOSING MY MOND NOT KNOWING..ITS AMAZING TO SEE SO MANY WITH THE SAME OR SIMILAR ISSUE! LOOKS LIKE THE POSTS ARE SO HOLD BUT IT WOULD BE GREAT TO HEAR IF ANYONE HAS RESOLVED THE ISSUE ..THE PAIN IS AWFUL AND ISOLATED..NO NEW HAIR GROWTH IN 4 MONTHS:(
I'm freaking out a little.  I've been getting sharp but short lasting headaches all on the back and side of my skull for about a month now.  Today I randomly decided to feel my head for bumps and found an indent on the top back of my head.  A few years back I remember banging that same part of my head on a tree and never saw a doctor for it. I'm 20 and the indent is not that large but I definatly did not always have this.  
Helpful - 0
Wow there have been a lot of people who have commented on this since my original question over a year ago! I still don't have an answer for mine, but I am really interested in what the outcome of the skin test for an29. That is one test they haven't done on me. I had my scans repeated in Oct. and the size of my indent had not changed since July. I basically have to watch to see if it changes. They still don't have any idea as to the cause. I do have a B12 def. but I have been giving myself monthly injections for that for over a year - so I think if it was that it would have filled in again by now. Assuming that if the problem is corrected that it will heal itself. A more recent discovery is that I am also Vit. D def. and took a prescription dose in Dec. and again in March. I don't notice a change yet- but maybe it will help. I don't know if there is any link to my injury as a child when I hit my head- I never went to a hospital back then. As to the guy who links this to enlightenment- I wish it was. I have always had feelings about things and people and I have never found them to be wrong- but I don't think they have been any stronger or more often now that I have the dent.
I wish everyone luck- and one thing I've noticed is that some people promise to update their results and don't- I know this is easy to do, It's taken me awhile to get back to it because life gets in the way- but if we try to remember maybe one of us will figure it out, or help another. Thanks!
Helpful - 0
dad
your headache, indent,and your other symptoms are cause by using wireless devices and being to EMF and RF signals stop using them.
I am also guilty of not reposting to tell  my results...I have a large indent on the top of my head towards the back.  I have had three doctors look at it and also a neurologist.  I have had a CT scan, all kinds of blood work done and everyone has the same thing to tell me...it is nothing and either something that I was born with but may not have noticed as it could have changed as I grew...meaning as a baby I probably had a normal skull...or had some kind of injury.  I dont remember an injury, but could have happened when I was smaller...my mother is not alive so I cannot ask her.  Back to the point...the last dr that I went to is a wonderful dr and truly did everything he could think of to try to find out what is causing it.  According to my CT scan...it is not that it is an indent, but only my skull is thicker in spots...the neurologist also said this as well.  I was always scared that if the indent got any worse, how far until it affected my brain??  But that is not the case as my skull is not sinking in, only thicker in spots that makes it look like an indent.  So to sum it all up...out of 4 different drs, I do feel better and not afraid that something is truly wrong...as they all did say the same thing.  Hope this helps!
Helpful - 0
Still hete? Iv also got an Indent or ridges....
Jde123
Thank you for your update. I believe this is what is happening to my 4 year old son. His skull was unusually flat at the crown, we weren't sure why, but no one thought it was abnormal. Now as he's growing, I think, as the same as your case, his skull is expanding and he's left with what seems like an indent but it's just that his skull was flat and is now thicker in other areas. I'm glad to see this was your outcome. We do have an appointment for our son to be checked again, and I plan to have this checked out for him. Thanks again for sharing your story.
This is the most helpful explanation so far. I noticed my "dent" which is at the posterior fontanel of my skull, when I was 17. I was weirded out by it especially after my mom told me I had a perfectly typical skull as a baby. But since there were no noticeable side effects, it was just a weird interesting thing that I lived with. I am now 40. Today the dent felt more sensitive to the touch which led me to this thread. I was worried perhaps something else was afoot (or should I say ahead! haha!). However, I am seeing this post 9 years later, and it rings the most true considering my own experience of living with this "dent" with no real issues for the past 23 years. Also considering that it seems more common than one would think according to the number of people on this thread, so this rather ordinary explanation seems the most likely. I wonder if my sensitivity today is due to a storm coming and the atmospheric pressure?  I'll have to pay attention. Thanks for posting!
I recently noticed the same thing for me.
I too can press on the top of my skull and note an indentation.
I wonder if this has anything to do with a bone infection.  I have had a problem with a tooth.  Of course the fundamental issue could be calcium absorption.  Have any of the other posters had on going tooth issues?

If this is related to bone infection then antibiotics may be a way to resolve the issue and start to strengthen the bone.

Helpful - 0
Sorry for the double post.
jde123 I also have the tenderness you described and suspected my neck as I have been working on the computer for extended houses recently. I noticed the discomfort when I am on the computer. (So I guess I should probably limit my time on the computer eh? hehe)

Do you still have the tenderness and if not what did you change additionally are you still taking the vitamin supplements?

Helpful - 0
I still notice the tenderness...but not as bad.  I have started doing pilates and yoga as told by my dr since it is relaxing and also helps in building your posture so you dont "slump" and therefore causing more neck strain.  Also, I have changed pillows...I get the extra firm pillows and sleep on my back so that my neck is "cradled" duing the night and supported...it takes the strain off tremendously.  Before I was sleeping on my side and my neck was not supported, therefore waking up with neck pain when it should have been rested overnight...anyway...all this together has really helped with my neck issues...I have also learned how to sit better at the computer so that I am not straining to see the screen.  I have not had any tooth problems...

Hope this helps!
Helpful - 0
I am a 38 year old who has been suffering with several symptoms!  Also, about a week ago I noticed I now have an indention that is sensitive to the touch.  I have actually had many things going on over the last 8 months.  I feel like a pin cushion!  I have been tested and retested.  The only thing they have come up with so far was my vitamin d was very low.  I am now going to the Mayo Clinc and I will update everyone on my results!
Helpful - 0
Please do update! I am a 49 yr old woman who noticed that I had an indent at the back top portion of my head that was sensitive to touch. I have been struggling with biotoxin illness for the past 6 months which is about the same time i discovered the indent. I have had a NeuroQuant brain MRI and I am in the process of finding someone who specializes in biotoxin illness to look it over. When i looked at it though from what i see it's an indentation. I do know that what i am going through causes inflammation on the brain. So i'm wondering if the Doctor that jde123 talks about is onto something saying that some parts of the brain are enlarged? Things that make you go hmmmm?? This has been a hell of a journey for me and I have still not gotten all the help I need but I still have hope! Then today while rubbing my head i realized i have another indent at the top center of my head...... I have to say it's very scary not knowing what this all means but i will continue to research and figure it out. I have also started meditating more and have been on the computer more than i've ever been trying to research whats happening to me! Please keep posting as all this information is very informative. I can say i do know that these are new and not something i've had and never noticed thats for sure! When i first noticed the first indent i analyzed my whole head and the one on the top of my head was not there. Please keep us informed ChristopherSteele and you are in my prayers.

You are reading content posted in the Neurology Community