Neurology Community
45k Members

Indentation in top of head

I was really hoping for a suggestion as to why I may have developed an indentation in the top of my head. At first I thought I was crazy, and that it was impossible for that to happen, but over the last few months it seems to have grown and now anyone who feels the top of my head can easily feel it. It scares me, especially since my husband had brain surgery less than 2 years ago- (symptoms completely different of course) I am 35 years old, the only time I remember hitting my head really hard is when I was in elementary school and I fell and hit my head on a tile floor. I have had a history of passing out and having seizures but the doctors never figured out for sure what caused it and it hasn't happened for a few years. The best they came up with was blood sugar, and dehydration as a cause for those episodes, although I never had a MRI or anything of my head. I don't get pains from it, it may be a little tender if I press on the indent kind of hard. Is there any condition that would cause my skull to cave in? please help!
Hi there!

What you are going through is really unusual.  I suggest you consult with your doctor and have x-rays done to see if there are indeed some problems with the bones.  Some conditions that I can think of (though cannot fully explain what you are experiencing) are Vitamin D and Calcium deficiency that can weaken the bones, or it can be a normal anatomic variant.  In some persons, the fontanelles (the skull openings when we were babies), fail to calcify and close that can lead to this deformity (this is very rare).

So I suggest you consult your doctor and hope you get a good explanation.  Regards..
I have exactly the same thing! It's at the back of my skull, towards the top. It feels very tender, almost bruised. The indent itself doesn't really hurt when pressure is applied, but its border feels swollen.
I haven't hit my head recently, and can't even remember a time when I have before. I thought it might have been something to do with the sutures, but I'll be going to see my Doctor soon to get some scans done. He should be able to tell me what the problem is... I hope.
I too have same problem. I too feel like cave on top of my head.
I sent you a message-= check your inbox with update about my indent.
Hi, Lynn. I am new to this forum and I do not know how to inbox you. Anyhow, I just got my "dent" about a week ago and I am worried. The spot along the dent is very tender, it burns and almost feels like it wants to crack open. Is it my imagination? My neck hurts, too. Memory going down the drain, as well as vision. What have been your results since you developed the dent until now. I would really appreciate the help!
I have this also,  any news on what it is?
Since my first post I have seen my doctor who said she had never seen anything like it before- It gets a little frustrating having everyone keep asking you "are you sure it hasn't always been there?"  Like I wouldn't know if I had a big dent in my head my whole life! anyway she sent me to take an MRI and CT scan to rule out any tumors and such- which it did, there weren't any. Then she sent me to a neurosurgeon at University of Washington- Harborview in Seattle. He also said that he had never seen anything like it. And since he is a world class surgeon who performs difficult and rare brain surgerys daily this must be pretty rare! He said that the scans don't show any cause for this to be happening and it looks like it is curving in rather than the bone thinning in that area. At this point it isn't affecting my brain, so he wants me to repeat the scans in October and come back so he can see if there are any changes. Keep in touch if you find anything out about yours. and feel free to send me a message in my inbox - I have a watch on this post and my inbox and I recieve an email whenever anyone posts to it. It would be nice  to compare notes to see if there are any symptoms in common or something in common that could be the cause.
I have an indentation on top of my head that I am getting checked out in a couple of weeks.It's been here for years but is getting sensitive and seems to be growing larger.Jen3000:So glad that tumors were ruled out for you.Bet you are relieved.I am also wondering if the indentation could have anything to do with why my heart goes dangerously out of rythym everytime I take practicly all meds.This has been a mystery to doctors.I am 34 years old but this has been happening for ten years and is just getting worse.I am a strong person but ofcourse this scares me.
Same here with all youve said..have u heard anything.? Mines is on right side
I believe PaulMD may be on to something.  I have been looking for an explanation to whey a tender soft spot has appeared on my head suddently, and I've been freaking out a little, especially because I had yet to find anything that made any sense on the computer.  BUT, I believe I've finally found it.  The whole VIT D/Calcium deficieny makes a bunch of sense.  I just saw another post that mentioned proper diet, and I suppose not coincidentally, a month and a half ago I started the Atkins Diet, and it has been in that time frame that this dent has appeared.  I bet I'm not getting in enough nourishment.  Does anyone else know if this is a side effect of high protien, exremely low carb diets?
Hello- I discovered an indention on the top of my head over the summer. I blew it off for awhile and then thought maybe I should go to the doctor. I was really upset when I left his office. He made it sound like I too have had it forever, I find it hard to believe that for 31 years I have never noticed it before now. One thing I have noticed is that when I put my sunglasses up on my head when I don't want to wear them, the indention gets deeper??? I think I will try to get more Vit D/Calcium, see if that works. Something TY70 said hit home. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I started weight watchers about a year ago??? I have lost 20 pounds- but now I have an indention :)  My biggest question is should I spend a ton of money on hundreds of test or let it go??
I just went to the doc last week.He said that my indent is NOT normal.He smiled and said,"Let's just say it's interesting".I'm going for a cat scan next week on Fri.He suggested that I may have had a cuncussion that I did not get tended to.Anyways,they are going to get a good pic of my brain and skull on Fri.I will also be going to see a neurologist once my doctor get's a look at the results from the cat scan.I hope it's just not waisting away....my skull you know??That is a scary thought but I will let everyone know what the docs say.
Greetings,

I was doing some on line research when I cam across your forum. I am glad that there are others in the same boat with me! A few days ago my boyfriend was being romantic and was stroking my hair when all of a sudden the top of my head felt like he took a bat to me. I let out a scream and grabbed my head and that is when I noticed an indentation on my head. The whole area was so sensitive that just moving the hair was painful. At first I thought it was because I was wearing a hair band, but it is now 4 days later and the indentation is still there and it is still sensitive, especially in the center. Starting today it has also started to feel like it is on fire at times and then goes to a dull ache.  Just like a few of you, I had a head injury when I was younger that required a trip to the hospital complete with x-rays. I did have a concussion, but can not recall exactly where. About three years ago I also started to get menstrual headaches and just recently started to use Treximet to control the headaches. I am now wondering if the menstrual headaches are connected. I am also having problems with numbers the past year. They are no longer my friend! I will want to write one number, but will write some other number instead. Just today I was writing down a date and I keep writing the wrong numbers, even when I tried to concentrate on the number I wanted to write, I still wrote numbers that were not even close.  This has had me very frustrated as well. Has any one else had problems like these as well? I do have a doctors appointment, but not until December 29th.  If I am still symptomatic at that time I would love to see some suggestions on tests that I can ask to be run. Sorry this is long winded, just nice to know that I am not alone…or crazy!
It's interesting to hear that doctors have never come across something like this, yet there are numerous posts about it.

I too have this large indent that I only noticed a couple months ago, its almost as of someone removed part of my skull. There's also a lump near the top.
Hello...I too have an indention in the back of my head, it is at the top and a little to the left.  I started having headaches in October everyday.  This is right about the time that I was laid off from my job.  I noticed the indent probably about a year ago but it had never hurt and wasnt sensitive.  Since October i have had the headaches and my head is very sensitive to the touch.  One touch and the headaches start...I was finally able to get in to my doctor who told me that "lumpy skulls" are not uncommon and there are lots of people with indents and soft spots.  He sent me for a CT and it all came back normal.  What we have figured out is that my neck has a pinched nerve that is making my neck/shoulder muscles tense and very tight.  These muscles run from my neck up to the top/back of my head.  This is why everything is so sensitive to the touch.  I have noticed that when i stretch out my neck and/or rub it, it makes the headache disappear. Since I had been laid off, I was spending hours at the computer searching online for jobs...of course my posture while sitting at the computer for hours on end is what has started all of this.  Hopefully with some PT on my neck and lots of massages, it will all resolve itself.  It is just nice knowing that my CT was normal.  I am still going to start taking more Vit D/Calcium...cant hurt any.  
this is hapening to me and my family it is some type of parasite i think for us at least. it is like a large worm i can feel move on my scalp and after i feel it move there is a big indent where it was. if anyone can help that would be great my e-mail is ***@****