Neurology Community
45k Members

Is a tia silent

They tell me that I might have had a tia.  Would I have known it.  I take an aspirin everyday and watch my
cholestrol
Hi, usually patients ignore symptoms of TIA as they are mild and inconclusive.

“Symptoms vary widely from person to person, depending on the area of the brain involved. The most frequent symptoms include temporary loss of vision ; difficulty speaking (aphasia); weakness on one side of the body (hemiparesis); and numbness or tingling (paresthesia), usually on one side of the body. Impairment of consciousness is very uncommon. If there are neurological symptoms persisting for more than 24 hours, it is classified as a cerebrovascular accident, or stroke”. Taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transient_ischemic_attack

“It's very important to recognize the warning signs of a TIA or stroke. The usual TIA symptoms are the same as those of stroke, only temporary:
• Sudden numbness or weakness of the face, arm or leg, especially on one side of the body
• Sudden confusion, trouble speaking or understanding
• Sudden trouble seeing in one or both eyes
• Sudden trouble walking, dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
• Sudden, severe headache with no known cause”
Taken from  http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4781