Neurology Community

Is it MS?

I'm a 21 year old caucasian female.  In 2009 I had an MRI of the cervical spine and a nerve conduction test to try and see why I am having numbness and tingling in my hands and legs.  Both were normal.  Is it possible to have a clean scan in 2009 and still have MS?  

My other symptoms include dizziness upon standing; balance problems; memory problems; a back problem that was diagnosed as a herniated disk even though X-rays revealed no problems; a stomach condition labeled a spastic colon, but my colonoscopy and endoscopy were clean; I was hospitalized a few months ago with extreme diarrhea and large amounts of blood and mucus in my stool and dehydration, but there was no indication as to why; I have had 2 kidney stones in the past 4 years, 1 of which caused a month long bout of extreme pain; and I have hemorrhoids.

Please help!
Hi there. You need to be investigated for multiple sclerosis.  Tingling and numbness in left hand and arm along with headache on one side and deep pain behind the eye could be an early manifestation of multiple sclerosis. The symptoms of multiple sclerosis are loss of balance, muscle spasms, numbness in any area, problems with walking and coordination, tremors in one or more arms and legs. Bowel and bladder symptoms include frequency of micturition, urine leakage, eye symptoms like double vision uncontrollable rapid eye movements, facial pain, painful muscle spasms, tingling, burning in arms or legs, depression, dizziness, hearing loss, fatigue etc. Consult a neurologist for a detailed evaluation.  Apart from clinical neurological examination MRI shows MS as paler areas of demyelination , two different episodes of demyelination separated by one month in at least two different brain location. Spinal tap is done and CSF electrophoresis  reveals oligoclonal bands suggestive of immune activity, which is suggestive but not diagnostic of MS. Demyelinating neurons transmit nerve signals slower than non demyelinated ones and can be detected with EP tests. These are visual evoked  potentials, brain stem auditory evoked response, and somatosensory evoked potential. slower nerve responses in any one of these is not confirmatory of MS but can be used to complement diagnosis along with a neurological examination, medical history and an MRI and a spinal tap. Take care.
Hi there. My BF has all of these symptoms but has been told by neurologist at a recent appointment that he doesnot have MS. Two MRI scans have been clear.  BF was diagnosed in March with MS????? What is going on? To be told by one specialist he has MS and then told by another he hasn't!!! Told by second specialist that its all in his head And needs to get help through mental health.. Isnt enough to deal with the pain, anxiety and depression but have to deal with medical professionals telling BF its all in his head.
The specialist that diagnosed him with MS is arranging a spinal tap.