Neurology Community

Is it normal to find sarcasm funny at this time?

I posted about some of my issues about my health the last 2 years.  This week showed a brain mass in an MRI?  I had joked before that they would see the rocks in my head so I said that is what they found.  Now I can't get away from "Kindergarten Cop"  'It's not a tuma' line.  It makes me laugh now.  Is that normal?

I didn't get many details and I haven't really slept since Friday when I got the call.  I keep thinking about my 1st grade son.
Dear BLee,
Laughter is a good way to release stress in a person.  It's okay to be human and laugh at difficulties.  Husband and I are both very sick people, and we laugh all the time about our stuff.  The human condition is funny, that's why we laugh when people trip and fall.

But in reality, until you can get a grip on this thing, you are for sure upset and seriously worried about what your future may hold.  After all, it's been two nights you haven't slept.  You're probably getting a little hysterical.  When you look into the face of death, it changes your entire perspective, and you find you're all by yourself, with a vast desert surrounding you and nowhere to go, and no camping gear.  See, humor is fine.

Depending on your symptoms, like if you can't feel your legs or if you can't remember what happened for the last six months, well, that's how bad the growth in your head is.  The best outcome would be it's not cancer, it's operable, and you're done.  But what if it's cancer and inoperable, the worst outcome.  These are things your doctor will talk to you about in person, whenever you're scheduled to come in for more tests and such.

Until then, there's nothing you can do.  You can sort of prepare for the worst, I suppose.  You can do that by reading books written by people who have had growths in their head, there's quite a few out there, even a movie about it.  But then again, the more you find out, the more upset you might get.  It depends on your nature.  Me, I can read all sorts of stuff and not be bothered.  But husband, he doesn't want to know all the gory details.  

I think the middle road approach is best.  I think you need a nap first.  Then just love your family and your life the way it is at this very moment, with every fiber in your being, really get out there and do some fun things that will distract you from what's going on.  If you want to cry, let 'er rip.  If you want to look up a couple things, go ahead.  But until that doctor sits down and looks you in the eye and tells you what is going on, you won't really be able to make a move towards dealing with your situation.  So, might as well kind of hang loose.  And even though I don't know you, just that you put concern for your son in your post shows a whole lot of strength of character.

If worse comes to terrible, look at it this way:  You won't have to get up and go to work for a while.  You'll finally have time to do all the stuff you've been wanting to do.  And hopefully you can keep us posted....  I mean, I do know people who keep on emailing and posting and carrying on, right to the bitter end.  Smile.  
GG
Yeah I know it is a coping mechanism but I just wasn't sure if that type of humor was appropriate.  But I TRY to live, love and laugh.  It isn't always easy.  Thanks for your insights.
I think you're perfectly appropriate.  Some people don't get jokes, that's all.  But if you'll notice, your best friends are the ones who can share a good laugh with you.  Feels good to goof around.  After all, it's a goofy, goofy world.  Best wishes always.